Buffies flarring

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Buffies flarring

Postby BrowningBlaster » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Went hunting in open water on upper Niagara with my set of pintails. Tons of Buffies flying, looking, flarring and flying away. Using pintail mojo along with 12 mixed males and females. Using mallard greeting call. 1) Mojo down stream landing into wind, decoys set randomly. 2) Took mojo out. 3) set decoys in line with males on outer edge for most color exposure. 4) stopped calling altogether. In each instance buffies came in looked and flew away. Hunted for 3 hours this was happening to me nonstop. I know i was well hidden because it is a spot I've hunted alot and didn't change cover.

What is happening? Any input would be great.
Snow Goose Triple Digit Member
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Re: Buffies flarring

Postby trigger22 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Most of the time, bufflehead do not decoy very well to anything other than their own species. They do not normally react to a duck call and I have mixed emoutions as to how they react to a mojo. Sometimes a mojo is positive and others not so much.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:19 pm

buffies nearly only land with their own when we're hunting them. but maybe try a flag. sometimes that helps
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby dgarnier » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:57 pm

For me they seem to have no problem landing in with the bluebill decoys
dgarnier
hunter

Postby Ghillie_55 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:19 pm

I hunted with a bluebill mojo and the buffies had no problem with it. I can say it helped but I cant say it hurt either. For us, Buffies have been decoying so hard this year its too easy. Defiantly would say some bufflehead decoys would help.
TEAM NEWPORT
Ghillie_55
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:54 pm

If you can't get buffy deeks, paint some old teal deeks into buffy. You don't need many 3-4 will be enough in most cases. Having the buffies closer into the shore, and separated from the pinners, will make a world of difference.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Ghillie_55 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Also if you want easy shots on them, put the buffies close. If you want a more challenging day, put the buffies out to 40 yards. do land with their own kind. I put my buffy line right next to the layout :)
TEAM NEWPORT
Ghillie_55
hunter

Postby mngreenheadkilla » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:40 pm

I have never even heard of buffies flaring, let alone not decoying>>!? I have hunted mostly over a spread of both puddlers and divers, yes they usually LAND in w/ the divers. I dont think the spinner had anything to do w/ it, i dont think it really effects divers really good or bad (if i would have to say, i would lean towards helps) Generally speaking though, in my opinion those lil butterballs decoy the easiest out of all ducks... JUST MY OPINION if thats worth anything.
Last edited by mngreenheadkilla on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mngreenheadkilla
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:46 pm

They usually flow right over the edge of our decoys when we hunt the big water but that's well in range so they tend to die. They rarely land though so I don't know what to tell ya
duckman27
hunter

Postby Robn1020 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:46 am

Buffies are kind of stupid. When we put out our bufflehead deeks, we usually put them in a line to the right or left of the deeks. It's not unusual to look up from the layout boats and see em swimming around em. X2 on them liking bluebill deeks as well.
18'44'' GoDevil w/ Stage 1 35 GDSD "Momma I wanna go fast!"
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk22 ... G_1555.jpg
Robn1020
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:08 am

Thank you all for the responses. Alot of great info.
Snow Goose Triple Digit Member
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby mngreenheadkilla » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:05 am

Robn1020.. kind if stupid... ?! :wink:
mngreenheadkilla
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:43 pm

: I feel you had the right idea, as pintail decoys do have alot of white on them, .... But Buffies are just boarderline racist. Cheap investment of $39.99 will buy ya 6 buffie drakes, may solve your problem, may not.

I have had luck with throwing a diver spread of just Goldeneyes out and having buffies land in that, ... But all bluebill or all red or all can ... Nope. I will actually have the Buffies out about 15yards from my other decoys, ... They fly by the other deeks, and slamm on the brakes for the 6 ...

While others on here have pretty much answered your question, ... I didn't see anyone make the suggestion of buying 6 drakes and solving your flaring problem.
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby Robn1020 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 pm

mngreenheadkilla wrote:Robn1020.. kind if stupid... ?! :wink:

Yes, at least where I am. Hey Ill admit it. I went over 20 years hunting never killing one of these birds. Then, when I started hunting an area where we see em, it was easy. I was very surprised that as long as you had bufflehead deeks in a group seperate from your main spread, the buffies would come in regardless. We had a few mornings where they sat there in the deeks while we were up and walking around picking up other birds. It has been common to shoot them at 3-5 yards. Kinda think bluebills may be smarter. But buffies sure are pretty birds.
Robn1020
hunter

Postby mngreenheadkilla » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:49 am

In northeast MN where we used to shoot piles of em one time we saw a public pond that had 18 buffleheads sitting on it, we jumped em off the pond threw out just a handful of bluebill decoys and jumped in the weeds. We sat there for the next 45 minutes shooting the whole flock as they kept coming back to the pond. Each time they came back a few less than the time before Haha 3 of us killed 17 of the 18 in the flock.... Never had bluebills give me that many passes! Haha
mngreenheadkilla
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:16 am

My experience is that Buffleheads will bomb into decoys with no reguard to anything but I do believe they are specific reguarding landing on the "X". Hunt "buffy holes" where they want to land and get ready. Had maybe 50 in the Mallard decoy's Friday but I was waiting on mallards. Moved to another location and none of them even looked twice at the new mallard spread. Duckdon
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby woody3691 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:00 pm

From what I have seen like everyone else is saying they just don't decoy well with anything but they're species sometimes they will sit down with the bluebill and/or scaup decoys it kinda makes it fun they're a challenge on a wing shot
woody3691
hunter

Postby waterfowl1030 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:10 pm

honestly all i normally run for divers is a string of a dozen buffies and a string of a dozen bluebills, ill run one parralel to shore and one at a little more of an angle, buffies dcoy better than any duck i have ever seen FOR ME. Paint up some old mallards black and white and throw out a dozen on a gangline and im sure they'll come right in :thumbsup:
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Postby blackened89 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:46 pm

I always hear that with buffies you don't need many decoys but does anyone here hunt over large spreads of buffy dekes?
blackened89
hunter

Postby Robn1020 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:44 am

blackened89 wrote:I always hear that with buffies you don't need many decoys but does anyone here hunt over large spreads of buffy dekes?

We put out about 12 buffy deeks to the side of a spread of about 80 to 100 deeks. Mostly bluebills, ringbills, gadwall, spoonies and pintail deeks.
Robn1020
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:07 pm

I am always amazed when I hear people talk about how Buffs drain in or decoy well. I never find that.
I have a dozen nice buffies and they always seem to skirt the rig, land short or swim in. I get my birds, but it's not a sure thing ever..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Buffies flarring

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:28 pm

I agree with most everyone else. If your where they wanna be and have the buff dekes separate they seem to bomb in. I have had em so close to the boat you couldn't see em without standing up and looking over the blind.. Lol
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby BobF » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Had them landing in the Dekes while we were still putting them out. It was crazy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
BobF
hunter

Postby blackened89 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:12 pm

I always have a group of either buffies or goldeney decoys off to the side of my normal diver spread(bluebill, ringneck, and canvasbacks). When I am targeting bufflehead and goldeneye specifically, I run a cluster of 2 dozen closely spaced buffies in one group on one side and about 10 yards away I have a long lone with 12 goldeneye decoys leading to a group of 12 goledeyes singles. Would more decoys help or would it look unnatural?
blackened89
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:34 pm

I think you are fine, BUT, if you watch, you'll see buffs ball up when they are freaked out and ready to take off.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting