Buffies flarring

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: Buffies flarring

Postby allnighter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:57 pm

Usually they are going to work over anything that is black and white. I have seen them buzz crab trap floats they are just so hard to kill.
allnighter
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:59 pm

I have seen times when you couldn't keep buffleheads out of the decoys. I've also seen times when they act more like a black duck and I couldn't get them closer than 60 yards. The later usually occurs late in the season on big water and birds are in short supply and have had the living h_ll shot out of them.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Sanch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:19 pm

HAHAHAHAHHAHA I have seen you out there with your pintail deeks and laughed my arse off.

And no im not helping you.

I have shot 1 exactly 1 pintail out of over 2,500 ducks on the Niagara, Seen all together 5 in my entire life of liveing on the river.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Sanch
hunter

Postby Sanch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:21 pm

And why do you want to shoot buffies anyway. :hi:
Sanch
hunter

Postby The Mad Duck » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:22 am

If you have Buffie decoys out,they will 9 times out of 10 land with them.
If you dont have Buffie decoys out,they are comfortable landing with diver decoys of about any kind. I think the white on the decoys has EVERYTHING to do with it.
BUCK OFAMA IN 2012
The Mad Duck
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:09 am

Definitely my favorite birds to shoot. They will decoy to any kind of diver decoy but it's a lot better when you put some buffie decoys out by themselve. They decoy like they have no eyes.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby okie-coyote » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:20 am

i only shoot drake buff's but i stand firm on having both drake and hen decoy's. so when i went out to buy some bufflehead dec's i had to seatle with 6 drakes. and as hard as it was for me to do, i painted two of them to look like hen's. last weekend was the first weekend i hunted with them..... and man alive did it work on those hens. i probably had 2 dozen land right next to them. so when these boys say they seem to be alittle racist...... there not kiddin!!!!

okie-coyote
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:54 am

when it comes to buffle heads,they prefer toland with thier own kind.they will land in a spread of any divers.if buffle heads are flaring, it almost has to be they saw you.there isnt a good explanation other than that.you could argue they thought your pintails were old sqaw, and when they discovered they werent, they flare.im not buying it.they saw you move,your face shining,your out in the open.get hidden.not only from 2' off the river, remember these birds do fly higher once in a while, so get some cover above you too.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:45 pm

I get them to land in puddler deeks all the time, but once I got some buffie deeks they can't resist. Had a drake trying to foght a deek the other week. Kept pecking at it.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Sanch » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:42 pm

those hens look great i must say :thumbsup:

I also paint drakes into hens, mostly because the Hen lessers and Hen, Juvi Whistlers show up in hoards WAY before the drakes
Sanch
hunter

Postby WhidbeyDuckGuy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:19 am

My Buffie spread. I made these this year. Foamers with trestle coat finish.

"I only wish I were as good a duck hunter as my dog wants me to be."
GO BEAVERS!

Advil Pro Staff
WhidbeyDuckGuy
hunter

Postby Ghillie_55 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:05 pm

WhidbeyDuckGuy wrote:My Buffie spread. I made these this year. Foamers with trestle coat finish.

Those are gorgeous! They sit perfectly in the water. Very realistic!
TEAM NEWPORT
Ghillie_55
hunter

Postby PLP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:47 am

Im new to it so IDk what could be happening.Could be any of quite a few things.That said I have 3 bluebill,and 4 buffie dekes that I put out and they come to em like magnets.Birds of a feather flock together..I guess..Good luck!
PLP
hunter

Postby WhidbeyDuckGuy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:43 am

Ghillie_55 wrote:
WhidbeyDuckGuy wrote:My Buffie spread. I made these this year. Foamers with trestle coat finish.

Those are gorgeous! They sit perfectly in the water. Very realistic!

Thanks... Here's a close up photo I did of a pair when I was finishing these a year ago. I opted to go without eyes on them as it is more cost and detail than needed. If I were to make more of them, I might do oversized ones. These are close to actual size. I did that only because when I look out on a lake, those tiny little buffie drakes always stand out. So I tried it because I wanted to be able to have space for more decoys in my sled. The Buffies can sure pick them out, even at actual size....

"I only wish I were as good a duck hunter as my dog wants me to be."
GO BEAVERS!

Advil Pro Staff
WhidbeyDuckGuy
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:31 pm

I used to hunt buffies a lot. Lotsa fun.

We'd get out at 03:00 to secure a very public point and set 6 decoys - 4 hens and 2 drakes. The decoys were on a line, 3 feet apart. The ducks would land in between the decoys. Oh - the decoys were 20 yards from shore and often pulled goldeneyes in too.

Shot thousands of ducks over those decoys - gave 'em to a friend when I moved, then he gave 'em away. Someone in shooting buffies over 6 modified Victor decoys with resting heads. Take good care of those decoys!
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:57 pm

MissedAgain wrote:I used to hunt buffies a lot. Lotsa fun.

We'd get out at 03:00 to secure a very public point and set 6 decoys - 4 hens and 2 drakes. The decoys were on a line, 3 feet apart. The ducks would land in between the decoys. Oh - the decoys were 20 yards from shore and often pulled goldeneyes in too.

Shot thousands of ducks over those decoys - gave 'em to a friend when I moved, then he gave 'em away. Someone in shooting buffies over 6 modified Victor decoys with resting heads. Take good care of those decoys!

Oh man I can't believe you had some victors! I found a couple at a pawn shop and bought them. Best riding diver deek I've ever hunted! I wish I had more than the 3 drake ringnecks I found.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Buffies flarring

Postby jehler » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Stop moving, they'll quit flaring
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,