What Anchors To Use For Long Lines

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

What Anchors To Use For Long Lines

Postby marthagohunt » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:36 pm

What type of anchors should I use on my long lines?
Hunting the Columbia River and need to set up a couple long lines.
What is the best anchors to use that are not too heavy but will stick in the sand bottom?

Thanks, MGF
Thanks, Marthagohunt.
All I want to see is feet down landing attempts.......!
marthagohunt
hunter

Re: What Anchors To Use For Long Lines

Postby duckstruck » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:38 am

I bought some small danforth anchors at a military type surplus store many years ago. That is what we use for the lead anchor. On the back of the longline we will use a 5lb or 10lb weight used for weight lifting equipment (body building). Usually find them cheap at tag or garage sales.
duckstruck
hunter

Postby don novicki » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:19 pm

window weights, if you can find em. check with a contractor they usually just toss em when they replace windows... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:11 pm

: I also hunt the Big C, but the river bottom up on this end is ALOT less rocky.

This is how i rig my Longline's. Grey 550 cord, 3 RxR spikes w/ stainless steel ring, u-bolt and clip. Painted the end of the line red to help in morning light. Red means 50' line ... White means 100'

Another look at my longline weight rigging. I pound the ubolt at an angle after threaded, so it won't come apart in current.
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Re: Re: What Anchors To Use For Long Lines

Postby whaknstak » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:20 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:: I also hunt the Big C, but the river bottom up on this end is ALOT less rocky.

This is how i rig my Longline's. Grey 550 cord, 3 RxR spikes w/ stainless steel ring, u-bolt and clip. Painted the end of the line red to help in morning light. Red means 50' line ... White means 100'

Another look at my longline weight rigging. I pound the ubolt at an angle after threaded, so it won't come apart in current.

Pretty ingenious. Gets the job done.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Kevin J Legg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:47 pm

I also use widow sash weights. Just picked up about 15 from a friend remodeling an old building..
Kevin J Legg
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:58 pm

: Cost me about $1.25 per long line weight, with the stainless steel rings and the u-bolt. Spikes are free if you walk a track or two ... The stainless spring clips on the longlines cost $2.95 per 3 pack. The roll reel was $7.99 ... and I have an electrical wrap one I bought for $1 at the dollar tree.

The 550 cord is .11 a foot ... and so far, they have lasted 3 seasons.

All my drops are on 550 cord and longline clips, ... at 2 feet a dropper, works like a dream!

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:45 am

The RR ties don't work on my end of the big C, between the tides and current we need more. I am running 64oz cannon balls. Though I have a new weight I am working on for next year. I also hunt the salt so I have bumped up to tarred lines, the 550 cords rot to fast.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:38 am

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:: Cost me about $1.25 per long line weight, with the stainless steel rings and the u-bolt. Spikes are free if you walk a track or two ... The stainless spring clips on the longlines cost $2.95 per 3 pack. The roll reel was $7.99 ... and I have an electrical wrap one I bought for $1 at the dollar tree.

All my drops are on 550 cord and longline clips, ... at 2 feet a dropper, works like a dream!

Good cheap idea for the RR spikes but, they probably won't hold in most places on the lower river. A RR spike is about 16 oz so that is only about 3#. The smallest weights I use on lower river is 5# pyramid. There are days when the tide is ripping you will need far more.
For sure, BBBD gets all the awards for finding the most cost effective ways of setting out to diver hunt. It all works in his area but, the only thing I would tweak on his set is his anchors, due to weight more than design.

Tealer wrote:The RR ties don't work on my end of the big C, between the tides and current we need more. I am running 64oz cannon balls. Though I have a new weight I am working on for next year. I also hunt the salt so I have bumped up to tarred lines, the 550 cords rot to fast.

Tealer, I'm curious how often you have to chase that cannonball anchor, with it being round and all. Did you srew drywall screws or something similar in to it to keep it from rolling?

Kevin J Legg wrote:I also use widow sash weights. Just picked up about 15 from a friend remodeling an old building..

I do use the window weights but, I prefer the newer style that are squared off and has lead on it. The older window weights will roll sometimes if the current and tides are ripping.

Do not waste your time on the weight from weight and bar sets. They are too flat and just drag every time you try to hunt current. Mostly, this statement is in regard to the up current anchor. They will work , for the most part, at the tail end like someone above already stated.

For me, I keep an assortment so I can hunt anywhere in the Sound up north or anywhere down here on the lower river. I have weights from 5# (works in most conditions) all the way up to 20#.
I will tell you this, if you have to use 15# or over, you'll need a couple big foamers at the upstream/current end of your rig . You can also use a big float and paint it black and white for the top of your spread. It does not spook the birds, from what I have seen.
I realize marthagohunt asked for "light" or lighter options but, I haven't seen too many of the lighter fold up type grappling styles really work consistently. The weight is something you have to live with if you want to hunt the divers where they want to be. The biggest issue with grappling type anchors is they take alot more line to get set in the bottom. Think about how a Columbia river rocking chair anchor has to lay on it's side to work. That is what it takes to get the grapplers to hang on the bottom.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby marthagohunt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:16 pm

So where can you get a 5Lb pyramid anchor mold?

MGF
Thanks, Marthagohunt.
marthagohunt
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:02 pm

marthagohunt wrote:So where can you get a 5Lb pyramid anchor mold?

MGF

I don't make them. I bought, or rather traded, for them. I have hundreds of pounds of lead. Most of it is from roof flashing so it is high grade not tire weights.
I have been getting mine directly from Oregon Tackle company in S.E. portland, out along Johnson Creek. You have to call ahead and talk to the owner Doug. He makes any size pyramid and they're far cheaper at his level. You can also buy them at the store in Vancouver that used to be Sportsman Whse. The problem with retail is not just the mark up but, they only have 1 or 2 available at a time.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:08 pm

I haven't really had a problem with rolling. They drop in to the silt a touch, or nestle in to some crap.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby BFThunter » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:56 pm

We use 8lb mushroom anchors picked up at yard sales for $5 or so with 3' of chain on each. These hold a dozen blocks in 5 knots of current no problem. longline clips with green lobster buoys on the front of the line and we are good to go.
BFThunter
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:05 pm

I use 5lb navy style boat anchors with a few feet of chain and have extra line for the area I'm hunting which acts as scope and prevents dragging. I put between 6 and 12 decoys on a line.
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:14 am

QH's Paw wrote:
BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:: Cost me about $1.25 per long line weight, with the stainless steel rings and the u-bolt. Spikes are free if you walk a track or two ... The stainless spring clips on the longlines cost $2.95 per 3 pack. The roll reel was $7.99 ... and I have an electrical wrap one I bought for $1 at the dollar tree.

Good cheap idea for the RR spikes but, they probably won't hold in most places on the lower river. A RR spike is about 16 oz so that is only about 3#. The smallest weights I use on lower river is 5# pyramid. There are days when the tide is ripping you will need far more.
For sure, BBBD gets all the awards for finding the most cost effective ways of setting out to diver hunt. It all works in his area but, the only thing I would tweak on his set is his anchors, due to weight more than design.

Thanks Paw, I'll take that as a compliment!

Everytime Tealer and I hunt, we have the "tide" discussion, and how my set up wouldn't work down in your/his neck of the woods. Thanks fine with me, nooooo worries, as it works here, and I'm in no way shape or form set in my ways. If I'm on here, and get a great idea from someone else, hell I'll use it ... But as it is right now, my budget LL work great, and I'm smack'en ducks. Never thought of window weights, I'll have to look into that.

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:13 am

That's good, because I meant it in a good way. Overcoming issues like logistics, or lack of logistics, is a great trait to have in any profession or walk of life. :thumbsup:
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:27 am

Paw, no harm intended ... Joke lost in translation.

As a matter of fact, "CBL" on here called me yesterday and said, "I want a spread like yours help!" He got a couple GC's and I helped him spend them ... Gave him 3 pairs of LL weights, and we're out this morning trying to bag him a can!

We are good Paw, I respect your input.

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby marthagohunt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:13 pm

I appreciate all the great thoughts, ideas and I give BBD cudos for putting the photo's up.
I will be looking for some of the reel type cord rollers to use. Thanks BBD.......!

I'll probably go with either a 5lb pyramid or some other light weight anchors for where I hunt.

I was wondering about making adding a sheet metal skid plate to the round weights.
It would look like a heavy pie tin (opening side out) mounted on each side of the round weight lifting weights with chain through the center hole to line up to. Idea is that the Pie tin would dig into soft sand but would it just roll down stream..... hum
Thanks, Marthagohunt.
marthagohunt
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Well, as if on que for Paw ... My LL weights didn't hold my lines today. Had 5 x 50ft'ers out with my weights on each end ... That was a first, borderline tangled longlines SUCK!

Oooooooooo BTW, it took 25-35mph S to SWS to do it, but I'll admit, probably should not have been on "The point" in those conditions !!!!!

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Marthagohunt, I'm with Paw on the anchors for the lower river. I use 10 lb pyramids on the upstream side and 5 lbrs to anchor the downstream side. The lighter weights work good on the incoming as it's normally a softer current unless you're down near the mouth. A lot of times on the outgoing I'll just let the decoys ride the anchor line with no downstream anchor. They have great movement that way but you gotta remember to either pick up before the tide change or anchor the lower end. As BBBD can attest, tangled longlines just flat out suck.

5lb pyramids can work most times on either end of the lines but that one time they don't, you'll wish you had the 10 lbrs.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby marthagohunt » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:28 am

Well I guess I'll need sets of 10 and 5 pound anchors for each line.
3 lines = 3 of the 10 lb and 3 of the 5 lb anchors.

This is getting costly quick. No wonder BBD's RR'Tie system exists.
Thanks, Marthagohunt.
marthagohunt
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:18 am

Here is what I built and used this year with great success.

3lb Coffe Can/plastic.
80# bag of cement- $4.76
Eye bolt- $1.25
4- 3/8 X 6 bolts- $4.00
Misc washers and nuts (used to add bite once cement hardens- $1.50

Also made a 1# coffe can anchor for the rear line with no bolts sticking out, just an eye bolt to anchor rear of long line when needed. Estimated weight is 3#s.

The bolts out the sides on all four sides keep the anchor from rolling on the bottom of the river. Estimated weight of 3# coffe can is 7-8#.

Works for my river which is fast when we have a lot of rain early in the season.
Attachments
river anchor.jpg
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby fishduck » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:25 pm

I use 10 LB steel barbell wieght disc. I like them because they are heavy enough to hold but drag easy. I sometimes drag my lines with the boat to get them where I want them.

Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby marthagohunt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:23 am

fishduck wrote:I use 10 LB steel barbell wieght disc. I like them because they are heavy enough to hold but drag easy. I sometimes drag my lines with the boat to get them where I want them.

Fishduck

What kind of current are you using them in and what type of river bottom are you dealing with.
We have a sand bottom and pretty good current flow most of the time.

Thanks, MGF
Thanks, Marthagohunt.
marthagohunt
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:13 pm

fishduck wrote:I use 10 LB steel barbell wieght disc. I like them because they are heavy enough to hold but drag easy. I sometimes drag my lines with the boat to get them where I want them.

Fishduck

Are you talking about a barbell or weights that are in the shape of plates?
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting