What Anchors To Use For Long Lines

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: What Anchors To Use For Long Lines

Postby marthagohunt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Hey MikeM,
Can you send me a photo showing the type of anchor your using along with length and size of chain?
How much line do you use versus water depth. With 20 ft water would you use 40/60/80 foot anchor rope above the chain.......?

Thanks, I find that a 10 pound pyramid slides down here but I haven't tried using some chain to keep it digging into the sand bottom.

Thanks, Mark
Thanks, Marthagohunt.
All I want to see is feet down landing attempts.......!
marthagohunt
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:22 pm

marthagohunt wrote:Hey MikeM,
Can you send me a photo showing the type of anchor your using along with length and size of chain?
How much line do you use versus water depth. With 20 ft water would you use 40/60/80 foot anchor rope above the chain.......?

Thanks, I find that a 10 pound pyramid slides down here but I haven't tried using some chain to keep it digging into the sand bottom.

Thanks, Mark

The length of line you have between the anchor and the first deek on the longline is dictated by the depth of the water and current you hunt in.
Are your first 1-3 deeks diving or is the longline just sliding?
I do have to use my heavier anchors sometimes but, I am not using heavier in the lower river right now. You may not be leaving enough line between your first deeks in the set and your anchor.
In the lower river, you should usually be hunting in 15' or less if you are hunting a BB feeding area. In a rippin' tide, if you use your 10# pyramid on a loose(sandy) bottom, you should be able to hold if you have 30ish feet for the anchor.
What size and type of line or chord are you hunting with?
It may be something else in your setup that is causing the drift, assuming it is a drift and not short corded.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby barenn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:01 am

Good post guys, just a quick question as I am just getting into the long line thing as well. Between the anchor and the first decoy are you using any thing as a float or is it generally straight line with enough main line not to sink the first dec or two. Sorry if it sounds off the wall, just want to be prepared without a mess the first time out there, mostly hunting a lake not a river, 2=6 ft of water. Any info would be appreciated.
barenn
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:52 am

barenn wrote:Good post guys, just a quick question as I am just getting into the long line thing as well. Between the anchor and the first decoy are you using any thing as a float or is it generally straight line with enough main line not to sink the first dec or two. Sorry if it sounds off the wall, just want to be prepared without a mess the first time out there, mostly hunting a lake not a river, 2=6 ft of water. Any info would be appreciated.

Usually, lake means no current. With no current, you should have no problem running staright to the first deek with out a float. Only time you really need a float(usually) is deep water and hard current.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby brian tierno » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:34 am

i tried the cement weights a couple of years back and at first they worked great but the second season they started to crumble and i have the broken concrete gravel all over the boat , and they cont got lighter. i just got all the things for making my own lead weights .and i am getting rid of that mess .
brian tierno
hunter

Postby marthagohunt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 pm

brian tierno wrote:i tried the cement weights a couple of years back and at first they worked great but the second season they started to crumble and i have the broken concrete gravel all over the boat , and they cont got lighter. i just got all the things for making my own lead weights .and i am getting rid of that mess .

I'd be interested in seeing what you have in mind for pouring your own......
I tried to find an oversize muffin pan to make some 5 pounders but did not have any luck so far.....

Mark
Thanks, Marthagohunt.
marthagohunt
hunter

Postby barenn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Another quick question re: the float between anchor and first deek. What type of floats are you using,,, as in the ones used on fishing nets or are there different styles store or home made.

Thanks again
barenn
hunter

Postby marthagohunt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:46 am

barenn wrote:Another quick question re: the float between anchor and first deek. What type of floats are you using,,, as in the ones used on fishing nets or are there different styles store or home made.

Thanks again

Well what do you use for floats.
Thanks, Marthagohunt.
marthagohunt
hunter

Postby barenn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:30 am

Have never set up long lines, just preparing for next year. Not familiar with this type of setup. Trying to get things in order for this type of hunting as I will try it next year.

thanks

Brent
barenn
hunter

Postby brian tierno » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:17 am

marthagohunt.... i use a 12" piece of black pipe that i cut in half with a sawzall lenght wise and welded one side to a 4x4 piece of steel plate then i made sure the cut was nice so the two pieces fit together nicely and when i was ready to pour i use pipe clamps to hold the mold tight together when cool i use 3/8 -4" long eyebolt drilled throgh the weigh at the 6" mark so it does not roll on me in heavy ocean currents, the weight is about 12lbs .So far they have worked great in some nice current and wind (out in Montauk) . They also store easily in a milk crate with a piece plywood on the bottom cause of weight.
brian tierno
hunter

Postby Z.herndon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:42 pm

The easiest and most cost efficient way to run long lines that I have found is using dumbbell weights. Go to Walmart and get 1 3 lb weight and 1 5 lb weight. Get you anywhere from 60 to 100 ft of cord for your long line. Roll all of your line up on the 5 lb weight. This way when you are setting up decoys you drop the 3 lb weight first and drop the 5 lb weight that has all of your line rolled up in the boat. As you float down the weight will unroll as you drift letting you hook up you decoys to the long line. It may sound complicated but I promise once you do it it will be so easy. Hope this helps.
Z.herndon
hunter

Postby marthagohunt » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 am

Z.herndon wrote:The easiest and most cost efficient way to run long lines that I have found is using dumbbell weights. Go to Walmart and get 1 3 lb weight and 1 5 lb weight. Get you anywhere from 60 to 100 ft of cord for your long line. Roll all of your line up on the 5 lb weight. This way when you are setting up decoys you drop the 3 lb weight first and drop the 5 lb weight that has all of your line rolled up in the boat. As you float down the weight will unroll as you drift letting you hook up you decoys to the long line. It may sound complicated but I promise once you do it it will be so easy. Hope this helps.

Depending on what material the dumbells are made from and it's specific gravity will determine how well it will work under water. Lead does pretty good, steel isn't as good and sand or cement is even less effective under water.....

Thoughts and does anyone use floats on there lines?
Thanks, Marthagohunt.
marthagohunt
hunter

Postby Z.herndon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:51 am

Yeah that's a good point. But you can get the dumbells at walmart that are neoprene coated and it seems to help holding and long lasting. I have used this way for about 6 years and never had a problem. I hunted in Santee Bay in south Carolina and up in the outer banks in North carolina with good success. The reason that I like this way is you can roll your long line up on the weight itself and it is easy to set up too. I just moved to west virginia to the charleston area and was wandering if anybody hunts divers in this area?
Z.herndon
hunter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting