Hunting open water from 18' boat

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Hunting open water from 18' boat

Postby Wisconsincheese » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:51 am

I was looking for some feedback from those of you who hunt sea ducks, Old Squaw, Scoter, etc... in open water from large boats (18') vs. layout boats. Do these types of ducks work decoys at gun range with a large boat sitting in the spread or is it not worth the effort?
I have hunted divers (mostly Bluebills, Bufflehead, Goldeneye, etc..) on Lake Michigan with Layout boats before in 20 - 40 foot of water. I am looking at going out further in deeper water 50 - 100' were the Old Squaw are and try to get on them. This can be a couple of miles off shore. Using the the layout boats will be more work and I just wanted to know if these birds are dumb enough to work in close with a larger boat.

Thanks

Bill
Wisconsincheese
hunter

Re: Hunting open water from 18' boat

Postby captmike69 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:16 pm

they are absolutly dumb enough! no problem.
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Re: Hunting open water from 18' boat

Postby loon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:06 am

I have tried it with the layout and a larger boat on lake michigan for squaws the trouble is more & closer shots with the layout but more work v.s. longer passing shots on the fringe of range from the big boat. we usually use the layout unless its too rough. its gotten crowded out there and like everywhere the ducks have gotten smarter. weve even had more birds skirt the spread when using the layout after several weeks of hunting pressure. they just dont land on your head anymore :no:
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Return to Diver Duck Hunting