two man layout advice

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

two man layout advice

Postby Driven51387 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:09 pm

I just lucked up and ran into a great deal on a kalash two man layout. I'm new to the layout game but I have lots of experience with longline decoy set ups. My question really has to do with boat placement. I see some guys set up with two groups of decoys on either side or some set them off to one side. from a newbie point of view I would think the decoys would help hide the boat if they were grouped on either side.... anyways I just want to see what you guys prefer. If you use a couple different set ups in different conditions clue me in on as to why. Im looking forward to hearing from you guys. Also do any of you incorporate net rigs with a layout boat? Just another idea I've been tossing around.
Driven51387
hunter

Re: two man layout advice

Postby Alberisk » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:38 pm

We set up to the inshore side of our decoy spread (birds typically fly down the center of the river and swing in to us) and try to offer 2 holes for the birds to hit. We use V-Boards with geese and a couple swans around the boat to break up the boat's profile. I think depending on your area and what types of birds you get you'd have to tweak that. Where we hunt we are in big open water so netting isn't needed as you want the boat's aerial view to blend with the water. Ours is camo'ed with a tiger stripe design to mimick wave crests.
Alberisk
hunter

Postby Driven51387 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:50 pm

what I meant by net rigs was decoys ziptied to shrimp nets. alot of my hunting takes place in shallow water was well. It seems like down east nc thing. It really simulates tightly packed rafts of birds feeding well. Just wondering if someone has added a layout into the mix yet.
Driven51387
hunter

Postby Alberisk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:48 am

gotcha..seems it would work. We run 12 decoys per string with 2 anchors. Pretty much the same as putting them on a net I'd guess.
Alberisk
hunter

two man layout advice

Postby LayedOut » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 am

We typically 6-10 lines in our spread. We are all right hand shooters. We have found that only putting 2-3 lines on the right side of the boat has encouraged birds to come in better to a right handed swing zone. Try not to place the layout too far back in the spread, this will only lengthen your shots.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.282644,-83.158698
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting