Question on Decoy spread

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Question on Decoy spread

Postby DPE » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Hunting divers, mainly bluebill and buffies. Setting up our deeks in a big group with a line of 6 or so deeks coming into the group all these are bluebill. set up 1/2 doz buffies away from the group to separate them. Setting them up in open water but pretty shallow off a island. The question I have is we are only having large groups fly into the spread. We have singles, doubles, triples fly right by and never even give it a look. It seems as if they are in a group of 5 or more they will come into the spread. How do we attract the smaller groups? also what are the thoughts on late season mojo? have been using one on cloudy days and not on sunny days, should we put it up altogether?
Thanks for any input
DPE
hunter

Re: Question on Decoy spread

Postby DPE » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:06 am

Bump- any one have any suggestions?
DPE
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:02 am

Stick the mojos right on the water, also try only running them when you have clear skys.

As for the deeks, how many make up your wad? Try and set more pairs and groups of 3 on the skirts of the spread. I also try to limit my buffies to a few pair in the spread.

You could also loosen up your wad and take the deeks left over and run a few more long lines.

Good luck
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Sanch » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Run a longer line and like above poster loosen up you set especially at the point where the line meets the group

You have the opposite problem to most I wouldnt worry
Sanch
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting