GHG Decoys

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

GHG Decoys

Postby maddiedog » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:45 am

I was thinking about buying some of the new goldeneye decoys. Could somebody tell me if the paint will hold up? I was reading the previous post that was unbelivable but it never answered the questions. I have painted a few GHG because of paint loss. I have stayed away but you can't beat their prices. I bought G and H canvas back and had a few chip. The guy at customer service was more than happy to replace it but I would have to ship the things to OK and it was season. It was a bigger pain than it was worth.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:23 am

Maddie I hope this is a serious inquiry and not just having fun with what happened with the other thread.I personally own a few dozen GHG and won't spend anymore money on them, after a few uses and the paint looked terrible, after I contacted GHG and they wanted reciepts, pictures of each decoy, yadda yadda, it wasn't worth my hassle, I learned a easy way, just don't buy em!Obviously you read the other thread, I was the one who asked if they had corrected their paint problems on new birds, I doubt it :thumbsdown:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Well??????, I own BlueBills, Pintails, Widgeon, FB Mallards, FB Canada Geese, and Floater Canada's.
Yes, they are well worth the money. The bottom line to end all tales is. All mass-produced decoys will loose paint. Yes, some more than others, and less on some.
I've owned quite a few different makes and models and basically had the same results. If you throw them in truck beds, decoy bags, trailers and so on, you will loose or chip paint.
If you want to protect your investment, use slotted bags. If you don't, and use 100's then the ducks are not gunna notice possibly as all they are concetrated on a landing spot....but not always.
You can always repaint and put a protective coating on them, and it helps.

I'm not saying ISD's is bashing GHG, cuz he seems sincere in saying he had bad luck and is keeping it at that.......errr at least I think he is....hehehe.
Yes GHG is and has great customer service, but with so many people out there looking for something free, they had to justify using the reciept and photo scenero. Again, I'm not saying ISD's did this........it's just to bad that people have to ruin it for the honest guy again.
Well, thats it, I'm done ranting for now....unless ISD's .............ohh nevermind :toofunny: :toofunny: :salude:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:38 pm

i know its a hassle and ive yet to do it because im too lazy... but spray on some flat spray varnish of some sort when you fist get them because then you wont have quite as many chips because you'll have that extra layer of stuff... as far as i know the ghg still chip, but at the price and how they look you really cant go wrong with them
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:53 pm

Goosehtr, I see what you are saying, I own fullbody GHGs, several different species and sizes of floaters.None of which have really impressed me.I am fortunate in the fact that I do not gun over plastics accept for in the walk in areas, about 70% of my hunting is big water from boats, than the rest is fields and walk in marshes, and a couple boat in marshes.GHG decoys are by far superior anatomically, but to me their quality is poor.Also for the record I own some of their geese with the flocked heads and they once again are awesome, that is if they sit in someones front yard or get hunted a couple times a year.I am fortunate in that I usually only miss 5 days or so a season and also hunt a couple states and countries, thus I use my equipment, it gets use hard.Thus why the trailer is full of Bigfoots and only a couple GHG, and why teh boats are full of cork and burlappers and not plastics.To each their own, not bashing GHG just my opinion on them.Sorry didn't wanna highjack the thread

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:27 pm

They are going to loose some paint as everyone else said but they are good looking and will stay nice if you take good care of them. I have some of their fullboby geese and ducks and all have some minor flaws. If you are going to abuse your gear like I do I would pass and go for something else. Like G&H. I used my bluebill decoys from G&H on the Potomic River in some horrid conditions and they held up better than anything else I had. If you are going to hunt alot and are hard on gear I would go with something a little more durable. GHG are nice if you can take care of your gear and are careful. I believe they have a place in potholes and fields but not so much on big water.
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:35 pm

NickCies80 wrote: something else. Like G&H. .

Well said
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby maddiedog » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:12 am

I think that I will just spend the money on some foam and give carving a try. I have heard ISD talk about it enough that what the heck. Thanks for answering my question! :getdown:
maddiedog
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:57 am

foam is the only way to go when hunting divers on big water.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:48 am

Cork is better than foam!Nothing rides the water like a cork bird, foam with burlap is about the next best thing, if you can get your hands on a mold use 2 part and make them even tuffer

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting