help me out w/ whistlers!

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

help me out w/ whistlers!

Postby captmike69 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:34 pm

i have a spot where for the last month has been covered in buffys and 100-200 goldeneys. they have been rafting up right in the same spot every day this week. there is no where to hunt from shore. i cant get them to give me the time of day. just buffies. i have 5 ghg drakes and 3 ghg hens that i hand painted. all goldeneys. no other decoys out. i have tryed hunting from my boat and i have a homemade layout boat that is painted camo. i have tryed this boat many times too. tommorow is my last chance to get one for the wall, and i am pulling my hair out! i was able to take a hen earlier this year at a different spot from shore but there are not always birds there and when there are, there isnt many. what do i need to do differnt? i see the dam things, set up where they are feeding and they all fly by super high and never come near me!
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Re: help me out w/ whistlers!

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Throw out a few deeks where they want to be and use the layout... nothing else you can do... set them in a long line pattern that might help,,,,
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:45 pm

thats what i have been doing. two small lines of three and two singles. its gotta have something to do with me. they most def want to be where i am. today when i went to leave i went away from my deeks and 2 buzzed my spread. thats more than they have done while sitting on them for 5 or so hunts now
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:17 pm

maybe they see you... paint your layout grey instead of camo you can try setting up alittle further away than normal.
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby Green Ducks » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:30 am

I always thought they were pretty dumb, we just sit on the rocks and they come in, we don't shoot them usually though. Toughest duck out there though.
Let the Benelli eat
Green Ducks
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting