Diver hunting setup and cans question

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Diver hunting setup and cans question

Postby SouthernIllinoishunter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 am

First of all I live in so. Illinois in an area where it's mostly backwater hunting there isn't any big water to diver hunt on but off the river there is a spot where it's a big open spot of water with an island out in it and it's surrounded by timber. My question is, would this possibly be a good spot to setup for diver hunts? Early season we have lots of ringnecks in the area and I've killed several just doing puddle duck setups but I want to know if this place sounds like a good year round spot for divers since it's just off a river? I have the decoys and all that and I'd have to use a layout blind on the island. Also a big goal of mine is to take a mature canvas drake and hardly any push through this area so from there very bottom tip of Illinois where would be the closest state or area to try my luck? I know it'll probably be pretty far away. Thanks
SouthernIllinoishunter
hunter

Re: Diver hunting setup and cans question

Postby SouthernIllinoishunter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:14 am

Some one please help you don't have to know both answers one would be fine
SouthernIllinoishunter
hunter

Postby ky lake mud pie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:28 am

I had a total of 5 fly cans fly into our decoys on Kentucky lake on sunday. Been hunting all season for them and they are finally starting to get there. If you are in southern Il you could prob easily get to Ky Lake. I use a dozen can decoys, dozen red heads, and an assortment of other divers ring neck, bluebill, golden eye, ect. Good luck.
ky lake mud pie
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:27 pm

I would get some eyes on it and see if the divers are using it, first. No telling what the birds might do.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby koonce727 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:41 pm

SouthernIllinoishunter wrote: My question is, would this possibly be a good spot to setup for diver hunts?
I want to know if this place sounds like a good year round spot for divers since it's just off a river?
Where would be the closest state or area to try my luck? I know it'll probably be pretty far away. Thanks

Q# 1.) Maybe, to much unknown for us to know this answer via internet
Q# 2.) Maybe again, the only one who will really no is someone who hunts it or scouts it. You need to scout to determine the answer to these first two questions.
Q# 3.) Your own state has some good can hunting. Get on the river and head north.

I know its not the answer you wanted, but its the best we can do on the internet.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting