coot hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: coot hunting

Postby BWTSlayer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:21 am

I shot a handfull when I could shoot them and they would land in the blind, they taste fine to me kinda like ringer, which is my most common duck
2011-2012 So. Fla. Personal Duck totals
Ringers: 23
Blue Wing teal: 7
Shoverler: 1
BWTSlayer
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:38 pm

Guzman wrote:Not sure if I agree with this.

I agree with you completly. I never kill anything that doesnt benifite me in some way. As far as furbearers, their fur is being used when they are killed. I kill may things that i consider pests and dont eat but i believe it will help game species by removing them. I kill porcupines and opossum because they eat grouse, phesant and duck eggs. I kill crows because they eat chicks and ducklings. I dont kill woodchucks unless they are getting into my garden. Other than that i eat everything i kill. :thumbsup:
On the coot subjuct, I shot one and fried it up in butter and didnt think it was very good. The next one i shot i marinated it in italian dressing for about 4 hours. It wasnt bad but not as good as woodies or teal.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby dog walker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:12 pm

We kill lots of poule d'eau(coot) every year. There are days when they will fly for what ever reason and it can be very fun. There is nothing wrong with the way they taste. The gizzards are also good to eat if you are into that,my dad calls poule d'eau just a life support system for a gizzard.

I also eat nutria and raccoons. I will tell you if you don't know how to clean a coon don't try and cook one :no: they are both very good to eat. I don't let the way my food looks like while it's alive determine if it's delicious or not. If you want to throw out well they eat crap I will say that wild coons don't dig in garbage cans,nutria eat the same stuff that rabbits and ducks eat and poule d'eau eat the very same feed that our ducks do.
dog walker
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:40 pm

"Smothered Muskrat & Onions

1 Muskrat
1 tbsp Salt
1 quart Water
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Paprika
1/2 cup Flour
3 tbsp Fat
3 large onions; sliced
1 cup Sour cream

Skin and clean the muskrat, remove fat, scent glands and white tissue inside each leg. Soak muskrat overnight in a weak brine solution of 1 Tbsp salt to 1 quart water. Drain, disjoint and cut up. Put flour, salt & paprika in a paper bag. Add muskrat pieces and shake until each piece is well coated. Melt fat in heavy fry pan, add the muskrat pieces and saute slowly until browned. When meat is browned, cover with onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper and pour the cream over. Cover fry pan and simmer for 1 hour.

SERVES: 4"

1. Country-Style Groundhog:

Ingredients:
1. 7 individual groundhogs
2. ½ cup flour
3. ¼ tsp. salt
4. ¼ tsp. pepper
5. ¼ tsp. soda
6. ¼ c. cooking oil
7. ½ tsp. sugar

Prepare groundhog by removing the small sacs in the back and under the forearm. Soak groundhog overnight in salted water. This will help remove the gamey flavor. Combine flour, salt, pepper, and soda; use as a rub on the groundhog. Brown the groundhog in hot oil in the skillet, and sprinkle with sugar. Reduce heat, add 1 ½ cup water. Cover, simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender. Remove cover; let cook for an additional 10 minutes. (Recipe provided by http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/country_style_groundhog ).

:lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:"Smothered Muskrat & Onions

1 Muskrat
1 tbsp Salt
1 quart Water
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Paprika
1/2 cup Flour
3 tbsp Fat
3 large onions; sliced
1 cup Sour cream

Skin and clean the muskrat, remove fat, scent glands and white tissue inside each leg. Soak muskrat overnight in a weak brine solution of 1 Tbsp salt to 1 quart water. Drain, disjoint and cut up. Put flour, salt & paprika in a paper bag. Add muskrat pieces and shake until each piece is well coated. Melt fat in heavy fry pan, add the muskrat pieces and saute slowly until browned. When meat is browned, cover with onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper and pour the cream over. Cover fry pan and simmer for 1 hour.

SERVES: 4"

1. Country-Style Groundhog:

Ingredients:
1. 7 individual groundhogs
2. ½ cup flour
3. ¼ tsp. salt
4. ¼ tsp. pepper
5. ¼ tsp. soda
6. ¼ c. cooking oil
7. ½ tsp. sugar

Prepare groundhog by removing the small sacs in the back and under the forearm. Soak groundhog overnight in salted water. This will help remove the gamey flavor. Combine flour, salt, pepper, and soda; use as a rub on the groundhog. Brown the groundhog in hot oil in the skillet, and sprinkle with sugar. Reduce heat, add 1 ½ cup water. Cover, simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender. Remove cover; let cook for an additional 10 minutes. (Recipe provided by http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/country_style_groundhog ). :lol3:

have you ever tried this or heard of enyone trying this?
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 pm

I have eaten groundhog. My poor mother would cook anything I drug home. She barbecued some how, any they were good.

Coot is also good.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Cliner » Fri May 04, 2012 9:27 pm

Have you people that said they taste awful actually tried one or have you just heard that? Because, I think they taste just like puddle ducks. If you hunt them in a marsh with a bunch of puddle ducks, they taste just like mallards.

On a side note, one of my buddies hunts them like pheasants/quail. He walks corn rows in the marsh and flushes them out and shoots them. We always eat them.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby pork4life » Fri May 04, 2012 10:29 pm

Are there lots of coots, because in California we have a 25 bird limit :yes: . Also it could be a way to get in some target practice if you get them to fly, plus it's dog food.
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
pork4life
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat May 05, 2012 1:23 pm

pork4life wrote:Are there lots of coots, because in California we have a 25 bird limit :yes: . Also it could be a way to get in some target practice if you get them to fly, plus it's dog food.

Here in Michigan there are endless coots. If you can find a flooded cornfield you can walk the edge of it and shoot a limit with no problem. I usually don't shoot them because I don't care for the taste but every once in a while where thee is nothing else to shoot ill go kill a few. They make good target practice. :thumbsup:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Re: Re: coot hunting

Postby wigeon_call » Mon May 14, 2012 9:31 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
whaknstak wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Ilovesidebysides wrote:Not sure what you don't agree with.

The fact that you are going to shoot something just to kill it, then not honor it enough to eat it :mad: Not only is it a douche move, but it is ILLEGAL

Wanton waste is illegal. Is it wasted if you feed it to your pup and use it to grow your garden? Up to interpretation, and even if it was illegal, it would be hard to prove. Shooting and leaving it where it falls is illegal.

I assumed feeding it to your dog or tossing it in th garden was wanton waste. If not my bad on the illegal part. I still stand on the fact that I think if someone is going to kill something they should eat it (except for pests that is)

I'm glad you know the laws in the said state the accused is from. :fingerhead:

Is this more of your "internet seniority" you're pulling?
wigeon_call
hunter

Postby eburgsnake » Wed May 23, 2012 12:47 am

I personally wouldn't shoot coots because i dont eat them and have no other use for them. But if the person harvesting them is making use of the harvest and not just leaving them, it's a personal choice. I've never seen a regulation that says the harvest must be eaten, just that it can't be wasted.

I give away the deer I shoot every year to people who's families need the meat more then me, and some people no doubt consider that wrong.
waterfowlman wrote:A game hog.......... is a game hog........is a game hog.
Folies will soon be appearing in a park holding waterfowl near you.
eburgsnake
hunter

Postby Markd » Wed May 23, 2012 8:06 am

It seems to depend on where you are. I have shot them off a slough in ND and they weren't fit for a dog.

Locally, We NEVER pass up a chance a coot shoot. They eat the SAV (for the most part) on the Potomac River and are delicious. Rolled in House Autry, fried and served with peas, mashed pototoes and cream gravy, doesn't get much better than that. The divers are the same way, until the grass dies, they taste great. Once they have to eat snails, taste goes south in a hurry.

We are more likely to get a nasty tasting mallard or black duck than coot.
Markd
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Wed May 23, 2012 4:59 pm

We have 100 coot decoys and we put them out, but we also put a few Canvasback and Readhead decoys mixed in with them. Works great for layout hunting just sit back and watch the divers come in.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed May 23, 2012 8:58 pm

War Wagon wrote:We have 100 coot decoys and we put them out, but we also put a few Canvasback and Readhead decoys mixed in with them. Works great for layout hunting just sit back and watch the divers come in.

I was hunting a few hundred yards form a guy last fall in the marsh that used 30 coot decoys and nothing else. He had like 10 of them hooked up to jerk strings. He pulled in just about every bird that came by. He had his limit of greenheads and a diver in a couple hours i only had one teel. Needless to say im gonna be buying me some coot decoys for next season. :yes:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Lake O Hunter » Thu May 31, 2012 5:37 am

Ilovesidebysides wrote:Wow...online name calling huh?
There is a bounty on Nutria in MD. Should people eat those? They are oversized aquatic rats...
There is no limit to the number of crows I can legally kill during the season. Should I eat those? Crows kill and eat ducklings.
You don't even need a license in the majority of this state to hunt and kill woodchucks. Should I not hunt those? I'm certainly not going to eat them.
Should I not hunt foxes since I don't eat them?
Your reasoning is totally ridiculous, and the fact that you think it's illegal is even crazier.

i dont agree with the online name calling, but coots are edible for sure. Not sure why you wouldnt eat them if you eat ducks. also people do eat nutria and groundhog...
Lake O Hunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu May 31, 2012 5:53 am

I have done the coot shoots in years past but I dont shoot them anymore. If you have a good number of coots you have a good number of ducks. I like to leave them be.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby NTXduckhunts » Thu May 31, 2012 1:36 pm

All this talks getting me hungry…
I think I’ll try one of these critters called coot in season and see what the fuss is all about..Can't be any worse than a mallard..lol
NTXduckhunts
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Thu May 31, 2012 3:06 pm

dont hunt them, but love it when they swim into my spread and give it a little live action
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:16 pm

It's not up to us to judge another hunter who shoots a bird just to look at it. Surely we all have done this at least once. I have shot crows before and had no intention of eating them. I might have accidently shot a hen pheasant as well. :grooving: I ATE THAT OF COURSE! Ran into one with my truck and I ate that one too.

If the guy wants to shoot his 15 coots and not eat them, that's his business until he tells a game warden about it and then gets ticketed for wanton waste of game.

If I were a non-eating coot-shooter I certainly would not be broadcasting that fact on the internet. :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:28 am

Aunt B-
I could look it up, but what really are the parameters of WW of game?
What if I wanted to give the birds away?
What does ME eating them have to do with it?

I could see getting busted for throwing a garbage bag of birds the trash.
But what about a bird that's really gut shot? etc..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:43 am

I'm with Slack on this. Feeding the birds to someone else, or a dog for that matter, is not wanton waste.
Pitching them in the brush or a garbage can is wanton waste.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:15 am

A while ago someone here shot a coot that was banded out east. Must have ran here I guess…
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:49 am

I was looking at a post somewhere else on the forum where a guy was zapping gophers or woodchucks or whatever the hell they are at 500 yards or something and that's it? I'm from Long Island and we don't have any of that, so I asked, "are they a nuisance or spreading disease or something, or you guys just like to target shoot them?" I'd love to go, I wasn't breaking the guys balls or anything, it just seemed kind of gory to blow these things up and just leave them there.
He just said "nahhh, just targets."
Uhhhh, ok. Wouldn't that be a hell of a lot worse WW than me feeding a shot up duck to my dog (after I retrieved it, cleaned it etc)
What's ME eating it have to do with it?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby wigeon_call » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:08 am

QH's Paw wrote:I'm with Slack on this. Feeding the birds to someone else, or a dog for that matter, is not wanton waste.
Pitching them in the brush or a garbage can is wanton waste.

It's just like feeding coyotes.

ducksnbucks wouldn't approve.
wigeon_call
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:40 am

duck mauler!!right on the first duck I ever tried to fix was a woody and it tasted like liver dipped in mud,,not to mention like chewing a super ball.I swore off ducks right then till a guy said''You just don't know how to fix em' ''. Glad I listened. Coots chicken like bill is designed for clipping off grasses they eat the exact same thing as a goose or chicken ,,probably better than a mud skimming mallard. They taste fine,plus the bonus is big limits .lots of retrieves
alanwebfoot
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Diver Duck Hunting