coot hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: coot hunting

Postby Zochbirds » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:01 am

Believe it or not i got 9 in one shot one time with a 20ga :wink:
I want to say i heard that coots are bad because they will steal nesting grounds from puddle ducks and divers. So in that case shoot em all you want. The baldeagles usually dont care for them...
If that doesn't get your blood boiling... nothing will.
2013-2014
Pintails-3
spoonbills-1
wigeon-10
teal-2
total:16
Zochbirds
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:53 pm

QH's Paw wrote:I'm with Slack on this. Feeding the birds to someone else, or a dog for that matter, is not wanton waste.
Pitching them in the brush or a garbage can is wanton waste.

In a lot of states you are just required to take them home. What you do from there is your business so if you wanted to bag and trash em you could. I know this because we were forced to do this with a portion of our carp that we shot in college that we couldn't give to the asians, hog farmers, gardeners, or anyone else.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:30 am

You know that's a good point. I know all the invasive species language etc about carp etc. but it turns my stomach to see a ditch full of a few hundred of them in the sun with a bunch of Bud Light cans on top of them.
eeeeesh
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:20 pm

And that is why it is illegal to leave them. Puts such a bad name to such a productive sport :mad:
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:33 pm

So what the hell are you supposed to do with them?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:47 pm

1) Hogs love to eat em
2) They are great fertilizer
3) Farmers can til them in if you get permission to put them in a field
4) Orientals will often take them off your hands
5) Some elderly folks like to pressure cook em
6) Raptor rescue centers will occasionally take them
7) As a last resort you bag them up in construction grade trash bags and take them to the dump or put them in your garbage

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Or you can dig a hole in your back yard and bury them if you don't have anything else to do with them. That's what I do.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:19 am

i was gonna cook mine up but instead i had it mounted! Willing to bet it would taste the same either way.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby canvas6 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:A while ago someone here shot a coot that was banded out east. Must have ran here I guess…

MY buddy zack killed one at odgen bay that was banded at bear river in 2007 , he shot it this past nov
hold my beer and watch this sh%T
canvas6
hunter

Postby SwinginLow0910 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:51 pm

The best thing to do is let all the coots swim into the decoys then just let them at as live decoys...I duck much rather land in the middle of hundreds of coots than to land in the middle of a decoy spread
SwinginLow0910
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:27 am

Guys....wasting game is wasting game........ I can understand that you dont like them, or want to eat them,and thats fine. But you dont have to just shoot them for the fun of it. :fingerpt: Or do you want to be put in that bunch like Jeff Foiles ? :no:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:06 am

I swear, sometimes the posts I read here make me wonder if the anti hunters don't have more good points than I give them credit for. God help our sport. :sad:
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:31 am

RustyGunz1960 wrote:I swear, sometimes the posts I read here make me wonder if the anti hunters don't have more good points than I give them credit for. God help our sport. :sad:

RustyGun hit the nail on the head. Anti-hunters use this stuff against us. Public image will decide the future of our sport.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:14 pm

ibedamn wrote:
RustyGunz1960 wrote:I swear, sometimes the posts I read here make me wonder if the anti hunters don't have more good points than I give them credit for. God help our sport. :sad:

RustyGun hit the nail on the head. Anti-hunters use this stuff against us. Public image will decide the future of our sport.

You guys are correct. If you are going to shoot coots, take em home. What you do with them at home is your own business just don't leave em lie... :fingerpt:

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby canvas6 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Well the day the feds see anyone just shoot them and let em lie the person will have a good time not hunting for a few years
hold my beer and watch this sh%T
canvas6
hunter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting