Open water hunting from a boat.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Open water hunting from a boat.

Postby gooserslan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Hey guys. I have heard of this but just never see it done around here. I just got a 19 ft Crestliner deep V with a 115 HP outboard. It's an older fishing boat that we are going to give a gut job. Any of you have any experience hunting divers from a large boat that is well brushed? We are trying to plan on making this thing look like a floating island and attempt to hunt it on wide open water. Not just your typical Avery Quickset type blind. We will be hunting larger waters like Lake Erie typically. I would also like to try it around home on the large river systems near my house on puddle ducks. I am very skeptical on how well it would work on puddle ducks, but feel fairly confident about shooting Divers over it with a decent sized spread out. Just wanted to see what you boys think. Thanks!
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Re: Open water hunting from a boat.

Postby apexhunter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:34 pm

On my first dedicated duck boat I built panels on both sides with brown I/O carpet and 2x4 dog wire over that. I cut a BUNCH of broom straw and weaved handfuls of it in the wire . The frame was a bit heavy made of 2x4 treated but it was solid and turned the boat into a floating island. I never had a single diver flare from it even when I hunted far from shore (unless somebody stood up too quickly or didn't keep their head down). I hunted as far as 3 miles out in the sound with good results...you just have to be where the birds want to be. It also worked well for puddle ducks when I pulled into brush or tree lined areas to provide more overhead cover.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Re: Open water hunting from a boat.

Postby Tennesseehick » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm

i've seen bills come in a spread with a boat 10 yards from the spread on the bank. the boat isn't camo, they don't care if it's where they wanna be.
Tennesseehick
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting