is it rare or not?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

is it rare or not?

Postby Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm from south central Oklahoma and I just got into duck hunting at the begining of January, and I love it! possibly my new favorite bird to hunt, but my question is how rare is it to kill a Bufflehead and a goldeneye in my part of the U.S.? I've talked to several of my buddies that duck hunt but I've gotten mixed responses can anyone help please? thanks
Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks
hunter

Re: is it rare or not?

Postby Sanch » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks wrote:I'm from south central Oklahoma and I just got into duck hunting at the begining of January, and I love it! possibly my new favorite bird to hunt, but my question is how rare is it to kill a Bufflehead and a goldeneye in my part of the U.S.? I've talked to several of my buddies that duck hunt but I've gotten mixed responses can anyone help please? thanks

Go down to the coast and go out for some bills and redheads and you will really be ruined

GE and buffs are fun. And the GE is extremely tough for its size but Pochards usually give the best gunning and taste better

As for your quesetion no idea im a yankee boy
Sanch
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:47 am

Buffleheads aren't rare and Goldeneyes aren't rare but aren't common
duckman27
hunter

Postby Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:04 pm

I see well thanks I apreciate you clearing that up for me, and yeah sanch I had a scaup the other day get away from me, knocked him out of the air and he dove and never came up, I was pretty pissed because you never see those around here.
hunter

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:05 pm

It may also simply depend on the body of water you hunt. You could be hunting an area of river and all you kill are bufflehead and goldeneye. Then you could go 20 miles either up river or down river and you may never see one. Just because you don't see them where you hunt, doesn't mean they aren't flying through your area.

I hunt mostly puddlers and that is what you will find primarily in my area. But two spots (that are huntable) on the river I hunt are about 40 miles a part and if you don't hunt those two areas (1 sq mile in size each) then you will never even know that divers are on that stretch of the river. Hope that helps make sense of how to approach the area you hunt.
:beer:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:14 pm

I agree it depends on location for sure. I guess with things changing in the world(maybe flyways or weather patterns) we are starting to get them heavily down here in coastal Louisiana. Been on the same lease area since 97' and did not see or kill them until a few years ago.
Attachments
IMG_0639.JPG
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Never thought I would see where I would kill Greys and Bufflehead in large numbers inthe same hunts. Picture below is from a weekend we finished with 24 drake Buffies along with Teal and Greys.
Attachments
IMG_0641.JPG
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:08 am

When I hunted Oklahoma with my Brother in Law and friends near Duncan we got Buffies on the bigger ponds and also the occasional Goldy!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Really? well where I hunt is only about 20 miles from Duncan, small world.
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting