sea duck hunting with a white boat

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

sea duck hunting with a white boat

Postby barnhill910 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:14 pm

We are just getting into sea duck hunting and I had to ask. I have a 19' carolina skiff that we use as a tender boat for our layout rig. If we were to make some sort of blind that goes to the water do you think it could work even if the boat is white.
barnhill910
hunter

Re: sea duck hunting with a white boat

Postby Kevin J Legg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 am

I've hunted out of a 16' Boston Whaler (white) and killed Buffies and Old Squaw even without the blind set up. I'm pretty sure it would work for most divers and sea ducks.
Kevin J Legg
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 am

The profile of the boat affects the hunt more than color, in most instances. Also, if you have alot of stainless or chrome hardware it can affect the outcome too. Good idea to cover or laydown windshields too, if that applies to your boat.
I would say just get some grey canvas or similar material and use it to cover as much of the outside of boat as possible and anything that is sticking up from the boat that you can't lower in boat. Sit on the floor to keep your profile down also.
The color white is not bad for water. Some old layout and scull hunters would paint their vessels white, so it can't be that bad.
You may have to work with moving the boat around the spread to make your boat positioning work for you also.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby barnhill910 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks for the help guys. Yea me and my buddy are putting together a good size decoy spread for layout hunting. So we dont have alot to drop on a new boat to handle the waves. hopefully in a few years.
barnhill910
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Shot them froma 26' white boat with no problems, all passing shots mind you.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby gundog1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 pm

we hunted out of a white 14 foot wahoo all season and had everything from bluebills to canadian geese land in the spread. we did have a homemade grass and cedar blind on it and burlap laid over the white parts on the sides. we did well for rookies but mind you the boat is getting painted this summer.....green with tan grass and reworking the blind......its all part of the game :grooving:
gundog1
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 pm

We hunted sea ducks out of my 22ft mako this year. We tried laying camo burlap over the casting decks, motor, and console and had birds come by but not decoy. After a few flocks acted this way we took it all down. The next flocks to come in stayed and the shooting got better. In my area these birds are used to seeing fishing boats. Either that it the darker colors stood out more than the white casting decks??? Not sure but yes, you can hunt out of that boat without mods. Just sit in the floor and dont move, although we had birds land in the decoys while were were walking around on the boat as well.

The rig is for sale too btw.
Attachments
IMG00016.jpg
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting