open water etiquette

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

open water etiquette

Postby duckculture » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 pm

I started goose hunting a few years ago in farmers fields in layout blinds. From their I started hunting puddlers in smaller waters and streams. Last year I started hunting Oneida lake in NY for divers and I would love some advice from you guys about blind etiquette. Oneida lake is medium sized with quite a few hunters. There is ample access all along the lake and plenty of places to set a blind. I have been hunting a shore line that is public/state property and I am wondering about how I should go about hunting out of a blind that I have come across. I launched my boat and headed to a point where I found someone had made a blind on the shore out of a piece of fencing a plank. I have a few questions to post to you guys about hunting here. Is it wrong to hunt here if no one else has shown up? Does someone have a monopoly on this point because they got to there first and staked claim to it?

My next question is about blinds that guys have set up on the water. Do they have the expectation that no one else will hunt there because they set up a blind? It is state land that everyone has access to. I would love to talk with everyone about this.
duckculture
Newb

Re: open water etiquette

Postby grnhd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 pm

If its public property,hunt it. If they give you any crap about it,burn it :biggrin:
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:20 pm

I have no idea about NY laws or regulations on blinds or specifically the lake you are asking about.
My advice is that you go over to the NY state forum and ask the questions. :thumbsup:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:17 pm

It's state land. I'd hunt it and if they show up after you and harass you, call a game warden because it is illegal for them to do that. If they are there before you get there, then find another spot. If you are non-confrontational just avoid it and scout out a new spot that someone has overlooked.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby duckslayer727 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:37 pm

On public land, most states opperate on the "first come, first serve" basis. Although some areas, like NWR's, have assigned blinds/locations. If this is not one of those areas, then it is most likely a first come, first serve type of things. Also if someone does beat you, be sure to set up no closer than 200 yards, as a safe barrier and a courtesy. Also it is poor etiquette to call to birds circling over another's spread. Some of the areas I hunt get a LOT of hunting parties/pressure. Most will follow these simple guidelines, but some don't, more and more lately it seems. Take the time to find out the specific rules on the area you are hunting, and have some good back up areas in case you are not the first there. One thing that I have done in the past, and will in the future, is if I beat someone there and they come up and talk to find out where I am setting up and generally seem to want to know so that they won't be interfering with my hunt, I'll invite them into the blind with me. This saves people from getting "ichy call hands" when they see birds over my deeks, and also can turn into a new hunting partner! Good luck, have fun, and hunt safe! :thumbsup:
Why does work always get in the way of hunting?
duckslayer727
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:56 pm

NYS law requires that all blinds built on lakes have the owner's name and address posted on it and must be removed by March 15.If there is no name, post your name on it and have at it. Just remember to remove it by March 15.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Sanch » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:59 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:NYS law requires that all blinds built on lakes have the owner's name and address posted on it and must be removed by March 15.If there is no name, post your name on it and have at it. Just remember to remove it by March 15.

Frank

hahahahahaahahsahsah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Franks right but do yourself a favor and DO NOT do that................... Just take my word on that.

Unless you like slashed tires and busted windows

You can tell frank doesnt do much hunting. And way to much BSing :lol3: :lol3:
Sanch
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:50 pm

If theres anyone on this forum I wouldn't listen to, its probably sanch.

In all actuallity, I wouldn't put my name on it, but if after scouting and you knew the ducks were there, I would use it if no one is in it for sure. If you end up with slashed tires you know Sanch was there. I remember this time I scouted this spot on public land for a week while I was at work, went there on the weekend and got set up. 5 minutes after shooting hours 3 other guys show up while I'm in my layout and tell me this is their spot, blah blah blah. I tell them the bad news and they leave while running their mouths and begin to set up 100 yards from me. So I pack my stuff up and move to an island about 500 yards on the other side of the pool. Limited out in about 30 minutes and made sure to paddle by them on my way back to the ramp with the birds all laid out across the front, for some reason they didn't have anything to say...
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:42 pm

What it comes down to in the end is how the guys react if/when you meet them. I've had some run-ins that worked out fine and the guys hunted with me or went and hunted a backup spot and I've have guys give me dirty looks, set up 100 yards away and watch me shoot the first couple flocks and then they start skybusting at anything within 100 yards so that nobody would get birds. It comes down to @$$holes will be @$$holes and everyone else will be decent and understanding.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:50 pm

ericrhaynes wrote:If theres anyone on this forum I wouldn't listen to, its probably sanch.

Don't knwo what the idiot said. I've got him blocked. He's nothing but a punk and a troll.

ericrhaynes wrote:In all actuallity, I wouldn't put my name on it, but if after scouting and you knew the ducks were there, I would use it if no one is in it for sure. If you end up with slashed tires you know Sanch was there.

That's one way to handle it. But, if you were in NY and were sitting in a permanent blind on a lake without your name and address posted on it and an ECO happened by, it's ticket time! So, you can take your chance either way.

By the way, as far as slashed tires goes, it'd happen once. The second time, someone would be getting a lesson in kachuk, and a hefty bill for the first time. Trust me on that one.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Frank, not that you probably care

Sanch wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote:NYS law requires that all blinds built on lakes have the owner's name and address posted on it and must be removed by March 15.If there is no name, post your name on it and have at it. Just remember to remove it by March 15.

Frank

hahahahahaahahsahsah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Franks right but do yourself a favor and DO NOT do that................... Just take my word on that.

Unless you like slashed tires and busted windows

You can tell frank doesnt do much hunting. And way to much BSing :lol3: :lol3:
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:

That's one way to handle it. But, if you were in NY and were sitting in a permanent blind on a lake without your name and address posted on it and an ECO happened by, it's ticket time! So, you can take your chance either way.

By the way, as far as slashed tires goes, it'd happen once. The second time, someone would be getting a lesson in kachuk, and a hefty bill for the first time. Trust me on that one.

Frank

Wasn't aware of that, though I've never hunted from someone else's blind, I've seen quite a few on my scouting travels.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting