Will they land in a Puddler Spread?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Postby MossyMallard12 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Will Divers land in a regular Mallard spread, like a small pond? Like a Canvasback?
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby hitnrun » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Yes. This year I had several divers land in our spread of all puddlers. I hunt in rice so they arent super common to see though.

Always seemed that they would come around after a large storm/wind. Like they were displaced or lost or something!
hitnrun
hunter

Re: Will they land in a Puddler Spread?

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Absolutely. But I think it depends a lot on the area. If there is more of a mixture of puddlers and divers in ur area, the more often u will see this. If u r hunting a body of water where u rarely see puddlers it is harder to get divers to finish. Having a small group of 6-12 white and black decoys at the end of ur puddler spread will increase ur odds tremendously.
:beer:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Around here, they will usually land on the outside of the spread, except in low light conditions.Another thing they do sometimes is buzz the spread at mach one.
It seems like ringers are the most likely to actually set down inside the spread and that might be like Widow Maker said because that is something usual for them in these parts.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 pm

we had a ton of redheads land in our puddler decoys all season. the buffle heads always came in close enough. we also had a big flock of cans land as well. but they usually didn't land next to the shore where we were setting up. if you want some cheap diver decoys, i repainted all of my hotbuys. i have 8 buffle heads and 12 redheads. i'm now in the process of painting 6 or 8 canvasbacks out of my flambeaus.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby KGChunter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Ok new question...in an area like where I am at in NC there are very few ducks at all and the ones that are here are very smart and call/decoy shy. I typically put out 12 or less prograde mallards and we rarely see divers. I would like to be able to bring in the divers when we do see them, would I be better off putting out mallards only and hope that the divers will land or put out a few ringers and buffs and hope that it doesnt spook the mallards.
KGChunter
hunter

Postby Sanch » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:19 pm

KGChunter wrote:Ok new question...in an area like where I am at in NC there are very few ducks at all and the ones that are here are very smart and call/decoy shy. I typically put out 12 or less prograde mallards and we rarely see divers. I would like to be able to bring in the divers when we do see them, would I be better off putting out mallards only and hope that the divers will land or put out a few ringers and buffs and hope that it doesnt spook the mallards.

A few divers will only help you on both ends. The puddlers see them futher away and the bills and such will lock up on you alot more with even just a few black and whites.

Just dont put them all together.

Realism is what your aiming for with spooky birds. A couple mallards here a few there some on shore and 4 or 5 buffs or bills 30yards or so out front.

Black duck deeks will help also. Just a few.

I have decoyed Blacks and mallards to a boat blind in open water without a single puddler decoy at all. And I have decoyed flocks of divers over 100% puddlers before. If they want in they want in.
Sanch
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting