Spray Shield Pictures?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Spray Shield Pictures?

Postby Ghillie_55 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:25 am

Hey guys,

I built a layout boat last summer and used it this season with success. Now I need to make up a spray shield to be able to hunt on the rougher days. Can anyone post up some pics of their spray shields and how they are attached to the decking? Just looking to spark some ideas.

Here's a pic of the boat I made. Now its time to try and figure out the best way to make a spray shield for her.
Thanks everyone

TEAM NEWPORT
Ghillie_55
hunter

Re: Spray Shield Pictures?

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:53 am

Let me tell you what I did and it worked grrrrrrreat!
I bought two galvanized battery terminal ends and spanned clear pex tubing with one of them on each end. I sewed a dodger of canvas in a lemon wedge shape, threaded the pex through it, then bent it in a semi-circle from one end of the cockpit to the other (shoulder to shoulder) and then attached the other edge of the fabric with a bungee. If you don't screw the terminals in too tight, you can lift and lower the dodger, very low tech, cheap, durable, good looking and effective....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:57 am

One other thought, if you can find an old sunfish, carefully take off the little boomerang spray catch off the deck and use that to bungee my idea to,. that's what I did.
again, great.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:20 am

Thats a great looking boat ghille 55. Could you pm me with some details of where you got the plans. Im kinda looking to make one myself, maybe a 2 person boat would work better for me
m.teeter
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:29 am

I can tell you how to do it if you p.m. me. It is not an easy task to make the spray shield I can assure you...........Lookikng at your boat it appears in the picture to not be too big. What is the length of your boat?
don novicki
hunter

Postby Ghillie_55 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:14 pm

The boat is about 10 ft long total length.
TEAM NEWPORT
Ghillie_55
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting