Diver Duck Rigging and Spreads

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Diver Duck Rigging and Spreads

Postby southendshocker » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:21 am

Hey everyone, i have a few questions about diver hunting and rigging the decoys. I have hunted puddle ducks for a while now and I recently purchased a 14ft boat, so i plan on building a blind on it and heading out into a little deeper water to chase some divers. I have no knowlege on diver hunting except what i have read on line and in other posts. i think i understand how to rig the decoys, everything i read says to use use about 100ft of mainline per every dozen decoys. Is there anything i should know about how divers decoy compared to puddle ducks? from what i understand they tend to land in the decoys, or on the outside of the farthest decoy. i am only going to take the boat out into a max of 6ft of water, is there anything special i need to know about hunting shalow water? And any ideas where i can get main line cheap? i am going to make my own gang rig, i found all of the supplies except the mainline in a fishing rod/net making catolog and its very inexpensive. The clips in using are some oversized black swivels with clips on them. Also does anyone have a good preference on cheap diver decoys? Any help i can get would be greatly appreciated, i dont want to go out there hunting divers and look like a clown :lol3: Thanks Guys!!
southendshocker
hunter

Re: Diver Duck Rigging and Spreads

Postby brian tierno » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:06 pm

I have had good succes in both shallow and deeper water, just like anything elses ,. you have to be where they want to be!decoys are limitless all depends on you budget, have been hunting ghg plastics for years and some averys . I finally started to carve my own foam blocks last week and as long as I get them to float, and right themselves I know I will enjoy hunting over my own dekes alot more , I guess with age I am enjoying the whole procces alot more , and my twin eight yr olds think it is cool to watch large num of divers commit and land in the rig .As far as mainline rigging supplies Memphis Net and Twine co. inc.they have everything you need . I typically run 8- 12 dekes per 150ft of 1/4 mainline with 3ft droppers (for my dog not to be tangled) depends on water depth i have pre made 25ft extentsions to add if the area is to deep and weights are custom homade lead from 5lbs in bays to 15lbs for open ocean sea duck hunts . I find having competent help setting and retrieving dekes is as valuable as the right gear , my long lines are stored on orange ext cord reals from hd, weights stored in a milk crate with a ply reinforced bott which i keep secured in the boat for obvious reasons . I start with a likely spot as per scouting , I pull up and drop first anchor off stern of boat and drift away as line feeds out the back of boat while clipping on dekes ,repeat for all dekes I will usually use the wind and current to help with making a land area for the birds but that has always been a crap shoot as they land all over but usually always into the wind somehow I put out 3-6 doz , 2 are always perpindicular or angle to the boat to help with visibility . practice make perfect and it can take a little while with wind and tide against each other which around her is very comm spend your time setting them and it will pay later on when they commit in gun range . around here buffle heads will decoy into a school bus ,where as golden eye you need scuba gear and broads are in between same with sea ducks they are school bus bind material .. omg I never post this long sorry to chew your ear .My best day this year was with my two boys the birds had them spinning in their seats laughing not knowing which way to look , one flight of buffies was 150 -200 birds landed all around us and I never picked up the gun.
brian tierno
hunter

Postby southendshocker » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Thank you for the help! like i said im new to the diver duck hunting and all the info i can get will help greatly! I am getting more into it because my dad is getting older and doesnt like to walk very far anymore, so i figure hunting out of a boat will make it easier to get him out and hunting lol. It sounds like you and your little guys are having a good time, keep it up! one day they will be taking you out :biggrin: Glad your taking them out with you, they will have memories the rest of their lives of huge rafts landing in the deeks. Again thank you for all of the info it is very useful, best of luck to you and your boys next season!!
Last edited by southendshocker on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southendshocker
hunter

Postby brian tierno » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:49 pm

where are you hunting
brian tierno
hunter

Postby southendshocker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:46 pm

The Saginaw Bay in Michigan
southendshocker
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 pm

im tagging along with your post. I hunt the saginaw bay too and was thinking of getting into the divers next season as well. For decoys i am planning on buying a few doz hot but mallards and painting them. Iv also heard that mixing in black milk jugs into your spread adds visibility. if anyone has tried that before, does it work? I have a 1248 mod-v tall transome and im planning on building a blind for it. What is the benifite to using mainlines over say texas riged decoys? Will my mallard decoys work for divers too? Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby charles.r.hensen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:34 pm

So ill try to help a bit. If you are planning on only staying in 6 ft of water or less, there is really no need for a 100' main line for 12 deeks, you can put more on. I run a couple different options, I have 140' 18 deek lines for michigan. However we also have 100' both side extensions for when we are in 80' of water. You really only need about 5 to 6' between deeks. You will have some sucess in shallow water some days, but you really need to be mobile. If you are not where they WANT to be that shallow, you may watch thousands trade around all day and never shoot. If you are willing to move a bit deeper, you still need to be where they want to be, but you will have better luck if you dont get exactly where they want to be if you will go out and deeper a bit more. As fare as decoys go, I make my own and it is WAY cheaper and you can run a ton more and you can SHOOT them and not feel bad :thumbsup: . On Michigan, dont care where you are, keep a good marine radio on because weather changes QUICK. I use a 4 pound weight on the end of my line and only a 2 pound on the front end, that way I can move the line easily if needed without pulling it all in. Save money and dont use clips, just buy good muskie swiviles and tie directly to that and the main line. Spend the money on a good main line that wont tangle that way you leave all on the main line at all times. And just keep going, you may not kill em right away but within a few years and a few bumps in the road, you will get it, and then be a pro :clapping:
charles.r.hensen
hunter

Postby brian tierno » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:59 pm

its never ok in my rig to shoot dekes not saying it doesnt happen but i will do my best that no one does , and i said that the water depth was part of the amount of dekes , and we have current all the time here on the south shore of long island , setting long lines for sea ducks off of montauk in a 4 -5 knot current is always interesting even in 15-20 ft of water i would vary leghts to get a rig that is not set up like soldiers.
brian tierno
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:15 am

Run your rig with slotted bags its very quick and easy once you get the hang of it
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting