GHG Life size bluebills or Cabelas Real Image Bluebills??

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Postby WIDUCKBLUES » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:10 pm

Which one should i buy? Cabelas has a bigger profile but its expensive or GHG that is smaller but cheaper?? HELP!!!
WIDUCKBLUES
Newb

Re: GHG Life size bluebills or Cabelas Real Image Bluebills??

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Honestly doesn't make a bit of difference. If they are black and white, divers will come crashing down on them. GHG is cheaper I believe so go with that. Honestly though, I wouldn't waste your money. If you have some old decoys, or else go to garage sales and got some old mallards, and a can of flat black and a can of flat white spray paint. Rought the old decoys with sand paper and then wash and dry. Painting your own is so easy. You won't see one bit of difference.

Search the forums and you will find some threads that talk about it with pictures too. :beer:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby canderso » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:26 pm

I have 2 dozen of the life sized GHG Bluebills. I have been pleased with them. Th paint held up well last year. Although, I agree with the previous poster too. I came into 3 dozen older, dirty and paint faded Bluebills toward the end of last season. They will get washed up real good in hot water and Dawn dish soap while being scrubbed with a green scotch brite pad. Then repainted with some Krylon Fusion flat black and white. I think they will work jut as well. Of course I will have to tell you next year, for now, it is just my suspicion.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Look at G&H bluebells, I have 4 dozen thy are 15 years old and look better than my 3 year old ghg. Last year I bought a couple dozen final approach, great looking decoys but 6 out of two dozen were sinkers out of the box. The comments about any black and whit decoy working, sometimes yes, but if you are hunting an area with any amount of pressure the duals get weary rather quick any more. Not saying you need high dollar but something decent with a little detail is better. Again, the g&h even though they are not the flashiest are ye best value for plastic
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:30 pm

jehler wrote:Look at G&H bluebells, I have 4 dozen thy are 15 years old and look better than my 3 year old ghg. The comments about any black and whit decoy working, sometimes yes, but if you are hunting an area with any amount of pressure the duals get weary rather quick any more. Not saying you need high dollar but something decent with a little detail is better. Again, the g&h even though they are not the flashiest are ye best value for plastic
x2
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby dalton316 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:21 pm

i would go with the cabelas they stand behind their product unlike GHG you can see what i mean on the refuge fourm in the diver hunters section
dalton316
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I might be biased, but I no longer use any Avery or GHG products due to their poor customer service and sometimes poor products. A couple years back the local hunting store had a huge sale on life-size bluebills and over sized Buffies so I bought 6 dozen bills and 2 dozen buffies for my diver spread. I bought them in june and never even took them out of the box until October to put weights on them and bag them. First trip out with my new spread and nearly half of them took on water. So now I have about 4 dozen decoys with water in them. I contact GHG stating my case and what I got was a big run around and in the end, they didn't want to do anything for me. Now I know it was probably just my luck in all of this, because I also owned the dirt cheap Hot Buys and never had a problem at all with them. A lot of the guys I hunt with use their products and barely any complaints, but their customer service did me in and I've went elsewhere. That being said, I'd go with the Cabelas because they are behind their product 100% and they will make it right if anything happens, but also as was stated before, any old decoy painted black and white halfway decent will work just fine.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Bobby Duck » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 pm

dalton316 wrote:i would go with the cabelas they stand behind their product unlike GHG you can see what i mean on the refuge fourm in the diver hunters section

what he said
Bobby Duck
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting