Duck Id. Warning, bad pic.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Duck Id. Warning, bad pic.

Postby darrel from meraux » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:55 am

Hey guys, years ago (before I knew foreign ducks as well as I do now) I killed a duck that I was unsure what it was. This duck resembled a larger version of a bufflehead but I knew it wasn't. I distinctly remember the bill resembling a snow goose's bill but itwas all black and felt thicker than other ducks iv killed. For the most part the duck didnt have any color mostly black gray and white. For years I wondered what kind of duck this was but thought I'd never know. Recently while going through some old pics I came across some pice of this exact hunt. I looked and looked and figured the duck was either left out of the pic or burriedunder others. Well, I might be wrong. I found a duck seperated from the others which were in a pile. This makes sence it was there because a few people looked at it trying to make an id. Now im not sure if this even is the same duck im talking about but heres why I think it is. The duck obviously is a diver. It has little color and it has yellow"ish" feet. (like a hooded mergansers). This drastically reduces the posibilaties of what it could be to a scooter, hoodie, harlequin, or goldeneye. Judging by the foot color in the pic being yellow. This eliminates the bufflehead. I know it wasnt a Hoodie because of the bill so this relly brings me to believe it was a goldeneye hen or juvenille drake. Only problem is im as far south east in louisiana as you can go. We never see them down here and I only known one person who has actually killed one. Im posting up a pic but Im warning you, the pic is bad. Its a pic of a pic and you cant see the bill at all but maby someone who kills them frequently can spot something and help me make an Id Or someone with some computer knowledge can lighten it up and help me out.
Attachments
goldeneye.jpg
darrel from meraux
hunter

Re: Duck Id. Warning, bad pic.

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:37 am

Maybe a Ruddy? That pic is awful..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:14 am

Feet are the wrong color for a Ruddy and Ruddys don't have a goose looking bill. My best guess would be a goldeneye
duckman27
hunter

Postby duckslayer727 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:03 pm

looks like a hen goldeneye to me.
Why does work always get in the way of hunting?
duckslayer727
hunter

Postby darrel from meraux » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Im also getting consistant replies from people on other forums saying it's clearly a goldeneye. Thats great because it's a first for me. Just wish I could of enjoyed it alittle more and had some better pics. crazy things happen but I just couldn't convince myself since it's so uncommon. Thanks for yalls help!
darrel from meraux
hunter

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:57 am

Crow. :grooving:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby Shade » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:45 pm

WI River Widow Maker wrote:Crow. :grooving:

I was gonna say coot. :thumbsup:
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby Sanch » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:49 am

Another vote for Whistler. That pic reminds me of when I was a wee little boy looking thru my old mans shoe box. :thumbsup:
Sanch
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting