Diver Prejudice?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Diver Prejudice?

Postby ducking&diving » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 pm

I have been duck hunting for about 7 years now. I have noticed from time to time people seem to dislike shooting divers and seaducks, particularly bluebills, bufflehead, and the scoters. i like all types of duck hunting whether its an impoundment for puddle ducks or in a layout boat for diver and sea ducks. i have heard people scoff at the idea of going after bluebills and buffleheads. anyone know why the prejudice is in place here? is it just because they dont taste as good? i am not like this i think they all have their place. let me know what you people think
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Re: Diver Prejudice?

Postby bubbasblazer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:56 pm

I personally don't like to kill whatI won't eat, and I don't eat divers. Went diver huntin from a layout boat once and they are deffinately sporting ( made me look like a fool ). It was a blast but I'd rather kill something I wanna eat.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby flight control » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:01 pm

I think its based on learned behavior.If the alpha male in a group of hunters explains to the others that certain ducks are more desirable than others,and that certain ones taste like crap,they will all take this information and spread it around.

On the other hand I was brought up eating every bird we shot and dont see any reason to pass on divers of any sort,they all taste delicious. I love hunting divers.

Also,most puddle duck hunters dont have the testicular mass to do what we do :yes: :yes:
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:25 pm

I started fowlin on my own knowing nothing about the sport. Came home with a hen hoodie slapped some garlic infused olive oil in a glass baking dish with the little breasts, Stunk up the whole house and tasted like what i would imagine poo to taste like. If I could figure out how to make them taste good I'd kill the hell otta them, but until then they're safe from me.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:02 pm

I'll just copy this from the same titled thread on the puddler forum.

It probably has a lot more to do with what someone is raised with, what biases they buy into, what their friends or family convince them to believe in. I hear it from both puddler hunters and diver hunters, probably more to do with our own personal success being tied to one or the other.

As far as table fare, I'm headed to the grocery store not the river, slough or lake. I'd rather eat chicken. I don't like to eat mallard any more than goldeneye. I enjoy eating wigeon and gadwall, but from what I hear, gadwall in other regions can be pretty gamey tasting. The best eating waterfowl I've ever had was specklebelly goose, now I could stand a little more of that. We are hunting these days for a lot more reasons than food, it's and experience, a challenge, a time to clear the head.

If I were a mallard hunter I would have pretty slim pickens most of the time. A vast majority of the mallards around here will concentrate in the flooded corn once things begin to freeze up. The continued pumping of water will keep things open with an abundant food source and the mallards just don't need to go anywhere. The mallards stay concentrated on or near the private clubs.

I hunt the same general area on the snake river most of the time and it's rare on a day where we see several thousand ducks to see more than a couple dozen mallards. I've heard mallard exclusivists who hunt the same area talk about just not being any ducks around as if the word duck only means mallard. In the same breath they will talk about having nothing but gadwalls and wigeons in the decoys and coming home with zero ducks. Kind of seems silly to me to be that way, but on the other hand, that's what their idea of duck hunting is and it's fine by me. This year was particularly slim due to a very poor migration in our area. We have friends who basically quit duck hunting a month before the end of season because of the lack of mallards this year.

As far as diver hunting on the snake river corridor, very few people actually decoy the birds. Most will use their boats to set up in the flight path and pass shoot, that's just not my style. For me, it's all about decoying birds, there is nothing like cupped wings, whether it be a mallard cutting in all locked up or a goldeneye setting the air on fire coming in hot. It matters not at all to me, as long as it's a duck or goose and they are working the decoys. I want to be well rounded in my knowledge so that regardless of what birds are working on a particular day we have the strategy to be successful. We usually don't have many divers during early season and my boys hit the mallards pretty hard before things ice up. We might get a week where we get lots of ringers, then they are gone. Some years wigeons are everywhere, then other years they aren't. I don't mind a limit of greenheads once in while, but love the variety that waterfowling offers. Being flexible allows us to bring home limits more often than not, that didn't happen very often when I was young hunting mostly mallards with my dad.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby pistolpete » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 pm

I think everyone is in tune to different ducks in different areas but it always seems to come back to people boasting about mallards. Personally I would rather get into widgeon, gadwall, teal, bluebills, buffleheads ect over mallards...don;t get me wrong I like eating them and it's fun getting into them once in awhile but I would take a exciting diver hunt or other puddler duck hunt over a mallard hunt any day. We got into a amazing widgeon hunt in south dakota a couple of years ago and knew someone hunting a different area who is all about mallards. I remember him saying a widgeon doesn't even count as a duck...I was very confused. I just don't get excited about something I see around town every day but thats just me.
pistolpete
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:20 pm

I've never been a huge fan of ringers because they are a pain to clean because the skin clings to the breast really bad and rips it up when you try to peel it away. Mergansers just don't taste good to me. But other than that if it comes rollin into the deeks it's gonna get a face full of steel cuz I love the experience of being out there and watching my dog chase em down
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:32 pm

kill em' all.they al taste the same in little smokies.evryone loves sausage...they just dont like to see how its made.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:40 pm

a good trick to clean ringers or goldeneye, even wood ducks for that matter is to make a cut under the wing above the flank feathers on one side, then just skin the bird across the breast from side to side and fillet out the breast halves. It only takes a couple of minutes and is much easier than trying to peel anything. Most of the sticking is right in the center of the breast, get off under the wing and you can get a good start and only have to knife skin a few inches across the middle of the breast.

There is nothing I like better than goldeneye pepperoni sticks, better than anything store bought.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby flight control » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Hoodies are the same, the skin seems to be glued on,what Ive been doing is take the breast off,lay it skin side down,and use my filet knife to slice the skin off.If done properly, it doesnt even cut into the meat. and I agree woodduck,goldeneyes are probably my faforite to eat.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:52 am

I'm quoting one of my old posts here to save the time of re-writing it, the "prejudice" well, it boils down to plain ole jealuosy.

The only duck hunters that don't piss me off are the guys I run into diver hunting. Never, not once have I had issues with other guys on big water, always end up having a long chat at the ramp, usually coffee and a rundown of where we hunted, what we saw and how we did.

when we hunt puddlers it's dirty looks and scowls at the ramp, @sshole douchebaggery setting up on top of each other in the marsh and stupid long range I'm damned sure gonna poke at these birds before they get to you skybusting.....

I think it has to do with the character of the hunter. Guys that have the balls to hunt big water for divers are more confident, better people. They are smarter and have larger penises than the typical mallard shooter. They get laid more and have had more experience pleasing many, many ladies. They are happy

Puddle duck hunters are usually iq challenged and masturbate frequently, their lack of control in the bedroom and general inability to please women makes them angry and bitter towards other people. They lack self confidence and plaster their property with stickers and paraphernalia to make people believe they are good at what they do. They hunt dumb green headed park ducks in shallow water as to maximize their chance of killing and minimize their chance of getting wet or cold. They are sad and angry.

I feel sorry for puddle duck hunters
:no:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby BGipson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:43 am

That is awesome! I'd seen bits of that before but never the full post. Sadly I've never had the chance to open water hunt divers but I have sat on rocky points and blazed away as they buzzed me quite a few times.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:20 am

There is prejudice views about divers. You tell many hunters you limited out on buffleheads or blackheads and their response will be oh, not ahhh. Then they'll ask...did you see any bid ducks? I like hunting ducks, diver or puddle, they both splash the water and I get to watch my dog work. And far as taste goes, it is how they are marinated and cooked. It's not the species, it's the chef, or maybe it's just how I was raised.

I do admire people that want shoot it if they ain't going to eat it.
Last edited by ibedamn on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:04 pm

Shoot what you can & eat what you shoot has always ben my philosophy. I love all kinds of duck hunting and have had some amazing shoots in beaver swamps, flooded fields (impoundments), flooded timber and also on big water. Each type of hunting has its own merits and challenges which makes each one fun in its own right. The challenges and work of finding an open hole in timber where birds are working as well as the work to scout divers and deploy 6+dozen blocks and a couple long lines on big water are both rewarding and frustrating depending upon the success of each hunt. But a bad day duck hunting still beats a good day working.

The only species I do avoid is mergs because I simply do not enjoy eating them and really don't like shooting them either...but all others are fair game and good eating if properly prepped and cooked.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Diver Prejudice?

Postby jehler » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:33 pm

We shoot mergs quite often because I don't like them. They carry the swimmers itch parasite a well as compete with the fish I like to fish for
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:43 pm

"shoot a merg, save a salmon" is the saying I hear around these parts. Something that is interesting is you can tell when fish and game has stocked trout in a pond here in my end of boise, all of the sudden it is loaded with common mergs for a week or so, then things are back to normal and the fish are gone.
woodduck31
hunter

Diver Prejudice?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:23 pm

jehler wrote:I'm quoting one of my old posts here to save the time of re-writing it, the "prejudice" well, it boils down to plain ole jealuosy.

The only duck hunters that don't piss me off are the guys I run into diver hunting. Never, not once have I had issues with other guys on big water, always end up having a long chat at the ramp, usually coffee and a rundown of where we hunted, what we saw and how we did.

when we hunt puddlers it's dirty looks and scowls at the ramp, @sshole douchebaggery setting up on top of each other in the marsh and stupid long range I'm damned sure gonna poke at these birds before they get to you skybusting.....

I think it has to do with the character of the hunter. Guys that have the balls to hunt big water for divers are more confident, better people. They are smarter and have larger penises than the typical mallard shooter. They get laid more and have had more experience pleasing many, many ladies. They are happy

Puddle duck hunters are usually iq challenged and masturbate frequently, their lack of control in the bedroom and general inability to please women makes them angry and bitter towards other people. They lack self confidence and plaster their property with stickers and paraphernalia to make people believe they are good at what they do. They hunt dumb green headed park ducks in shallow water as to maximize their chance of killing and minimize their chance of getting wet or cold. They are sad and angry.

I feel sorry for puddle duck hunters
:no:

Truuth
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby GREGS » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:16 am

"shoot a merg, save a salmon"

Can we add gulls and commorants to that list !

I stopped shooting merg's they just smell bad, like fish liver.

I wouldn't know what to do with them.
GREGS
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:40 am

I hate Mergies and I kill them when ever I see them, I even target them intentionally sometimes. I've been thinking about trying to put together a spread of them. The only time I don't shoot them is when I have a species goal for a specific hunt.
If they were to give us a separate limit here I would probably start with my mergy limit before the others.
Commons,sawbills, croakers, lawn darts, lizards or any other name you have for them I hate'em.
If they ever open cormorants I'll kill them too.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby flight control » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Why would they even have a closed season for cormorants? Here, they are considered a varmint with no limits or closed season except 1 week in september when nobody is allowed hunting anything unless you have a moose license.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:45 am

flight control wrote:Why would they even have a closed season for cormorants? Here, they are considered a varmint with no limits or closed season except 1 week in september when nobody is allowed hunting anything unless you have a moose license.

Well, it's different here. They are protected as a migratory bird. Here is an article from here in Oregon where they are trying to get "permission" from the feds to shoot them.
http://www.eastoregonian.com/free/orego ... f887a.html
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu May 03, 2012 10:31 am

If I don't eat it, I don't shoot it. That being said, I shoot a lot of divers. If I didn't, it would be pretty slim pickings around here in December. I do not shoot mergansers as I have found no way to cook them to make them edible.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:07 pm

I can remember when I was growing up trying to choke down all the duck we shot. Most of the time my dad was the cook when it came to wild game and he could even ruin quail and pheasant. We were poor and we ate a lot of stuff that people turn their noses up at now, we did a lot of carp fishing and would pressure cook them to soften the bones and make fish patties out of them to fry and put on hamburger buns, I wouldn't doubt that you could still find canned carp in the basement back home in Kansas. Still they were overcooked as was they way of most of the stuff my mom and dad cooked as far as meat dishes go. Since that time we have learned a lot about cooking wild game. Cooling and bleeding birds in the field rather than allowing them to build up heat, aging meat in a cooler if possible. I'll put duck in a water filled bowl, then rinse and refill for a couple of days till the water stays blood free, that will help. I like to cut up the duck in small bite sized pieces and soak them in various kinds of marinade for a couple of days, A1 chicago style is my favorite. Cooking them as breaded finger stakes is alright, but usually reserved for wigeons, wood ducks and teal. When it is stronger meats like goldeneye and mergansers you need to do all of the above, but then use them in dishes with gravies or mushrooms soups and rice, things like that. A strong taste with any wild game is usually the fault of the preparer at some stage. Now give me a specklebelly steak and I could eat it straight off the bbq with a little bit of salt and you can find nothing better.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Marinades, soaking them for days? Admit it, you just don't like the taste of duck, especially divers. However, I have to admit I do the same thing with beef. Marinade it for days, soak it in vinegar, anything to get rid of that nasty cow taste. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:11 pm

I love a good bluebill shoot but we cook 'em with lots of onions, peppers, and Italian sauce. My second favorite is bluewing teal - they decoy almost as well. We cook them without the above-mentioned flavor enhancers.

Divers are more fun to shoot and easier to hunt BUT taste worse than puddlers. My 2 favorite ducks are buffleheads and BW teal. My favorite eaters are woodies and teal.

We shoot a few spoon-bills (shovelers) and it is fun. They taste okay around here but others say they taste bad.

All I can say is enjoy your hunting. Eat what you shoot. Be happy that you can shoot ducks...
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting