Diver Prejudice?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: Diver Prejudice?

Postby doubletheshovel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:22 pm

I grow up hunting puddlers with my dad. That is all I have ever known and my hunting for ducks stopped the first week in november because the marsh was all froze up by then here in Minnestoa. I stopped waterfowl hunting when I went to college and picked it up after I got out and hunted potholes for puddlers until it iced up. I went big water hunting for the first time 2 years ago with a now good friend of mine in his duck boat and was hooked on hunting over big water for all species. My goal even when I was young was to shoot every species of waterfowl we saw in the marsh minus the coot and now it is to shoot every species of waterfowl minus coot of course. I went from getting teal woodduck and mallards to shooting ringnecks, scaup, goldeneyes, buffleheads, redheads, canvasbacks, and even mergansers. All types of waterfowl hunting have there own rewards but big water diver hunting is just more rewarding because it does not limit your species down to a few types. I also went from owning a dozen mallard dekes to a spread of 80 that is going to be growing before season starts. On the topic of eating them my motto is if it flies it dies and if it dies its on the dinner table. I soak them in water for 24 hours to get most of the blood out but then just sear the outside of the breast and cut it up and put it in the crock pot with a can or two of cream of mushroom soup and put it over noodles even the girlfriend will ask when are we having duck again. I think we would all agree we all get amped up when any bird cups into the dekes either from a mile up like mallards or right on the water like buffies when you see the splash there is always high fives in the blind.

Cut'em All
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Re: Diver Prejudice?

Postby shane019 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:11 pm

I prefer eating Redheads over mallards any day..... I will pluck and roast them with citrus juice, garlic, onion and spices.... The Mallards get breasted and usually go for jerky of sometimes will use them for a stir fry...

Diver hunting is alot more challenging than puddle duck hunting IMO. For the Mallards you can throw out a dozen decoys and a robo duck and hammer them all day long, As for Divers when they are flying good very few want to decoy so it is mainly pass shooting birds flying at probably 60MPH. I don't hunt divers till end of October so it is usually cold windy and rainy while hunting, takes alot of effort to sit in the boat most of the day....
If it Flies it Dies!!!
shane019
hunter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting