Repaints

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Repaints

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat May 12, 2012 7:57 am

First time ever painting a decoy. Had a bunch of Storm Front Mallards peeling so I decided to give painting them a shot. I know the anatomy isn't correct and the bill looks like a spoonie, but I think they should work. Let me know what I should fix on them or do different.

Eric Haynes
hunter

Re: Repaints

Postby flight control » Sat May 12, 2012 8:50 am

looks nice,better that I would have thought a malard would look painted as a GE. good job :thumbsup:
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat May 12, 2012 11:47 am

I've got a ton of older decoys that need to be repainted and was just filling in species I don't have very many decoys of. I think the mallards would look better as redheads, but I can't see having more than a dozen for how many we get in our area. I'll probably do a few redheads and the rest with be bluebills and GE as long as they don't look to bad.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby flight control » Tue May 15, 2012 2:07 pm

In my experience, GE s decoy weird. The more lifelike the decoy, the better.That being said I wouldnt hesitate to use some of those as filler blocks and use my real GE decoys closer to the landing zone.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue May 15, 2012 4:58 pm

flight control wrote:In my experience, GE s decoy weird. The more lifelike the decoy, the better.That being said I wouldnt hesitate to use some of those as filler blocks and use my real GE decoys closer to the landing zone.

I live in NNY, I think the genneral consensus is that the birds are pretty dumb up here. I've never had any trouble with divers, they always seem to land in whatever I've got out. 2 years ago Thanksgiving day I put out 6 mallards, 6 wigeons, and 2 woodies off to the side and had my GE and Redhead limit in 40 minutes. Might have been just that kind of day, but isn't saying much for the bird.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby flight control » Wed May 16, 2012 7:54 am

ericrhaynes wrote:
flight control wrote:In my experience, GE s decoy weird. The more lifelike the decoy, the better.That being said I wouldnt hesitate to use some of those as filler blocks and use my real GE decoys closer to the landing zone.

I live in NNY, I think the genneral consensus is that the birds are pretty dumb up here. I've never had any trouble with divers, they always seem to land in whatever I've got out. 2 years ago Thanksgiving day I put out 6 mallards, 6 wigeons, and 2 woodies off to the side and had my GE and Redhead limit in 40 minutes. Might have been just that kind of day, but isn't saying much for the bird.

Strange how different birds will act differently for one location to another. Im even further north ( New-Brunswick Canada) and at least where I hunt, GE are the hardest duck to get to decoy properly. Even the black ducks look stupid by comparison. Here the GE will buzz the decoys,put their feet down and then hit the afterburners.

We always chalked it up to their vision being so good they could tell the difference between decoys and real ducks. I have seen a hen GE enter the woods at mach 3,so their eyesight must be good or they would slam into the trees.

Since we started using the GHG oversize GE decoys, our success rate has gone up dramaticaly.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 am

I think they look good. I hunted over mallard repaints all last year and had goldeneyes in my spread everytime I threw them out. I didn't paint the head up green like you did but I do like the look so I may have to give that a try this year.
eagles2069
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting