Bufflehead Hens

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Bufflehead Hens

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:16 pm

I've been touching up my diver rig and wanted to paint some bufflehead hens. I've noticed the last few years that Drakes really zero in on hens. I've seen small to medium rafts of Buffles composed of mostly hens and any drake that comes by just can't resist rolling in to them to say hello. I have no hen buffles to use as a pattern. Anyone have a good pic of a hen decoy?
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Re: Bufflehead Hens

Postby don novicki » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Outstanding picture on Wikipedia. I just typed in bufflehead duck and up it came.............. :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:17 pm

ace hardware brand "rust stop". flat black and flat white. paint the entire decoy black, dry brush white on the chest and sides, mix a little black and white to get a gray color and dry brush over the white. use left over gray to paint the bill. little white patch behind the eye.

ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Awesome! :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:23 pm

these are some photos of some really old decoys. My experience with buffleheads here in Idaho is that hens work way better on buffleheads. I used to have almost all drakes in my spread, maybe one or two hen buffies and we rarely decoyed buffleheads, yet saw many every hunt. They paid no attention to our goldeneye, bufflehead or bluebill decoys. I only landed one pair in 7 years before I got onto using hens. We switched to 9 hens and 3 drakes and it was like flipping a switch, nearly every buffie decoyed after that. One thing to note that even in a group of birds flying in front of you only a couple of drakes may appear to be in that group, but there are no doubt many juvenile drakes there as well, they don't get full color for a couple of years and tend to look like a big hen. A group of hen decoys with few drakes is far more natural.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:53 pm

woodduck31 wrote: One thing to note that even in a group of birds flying in front of you only a couple of drakes may appear to be in that group, but there are no doubt many juvenile drakes there as well, they don't get full color for a couple of years and tend to look like a big hen.
:thumbsup:
i just learned something new. have had hundreds of bufflehead killed in my blinds and i've always wondered why some of the "hens" have feet that seem to be turning to the color of a drake and why there is always so many "hens" in the big flocks but never really though much of it.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 pm

the reason I looked into it was my youngest son had never killed a drake, but one morning I thought he had killed a world record hen, it was twice as big as the other hens and it had pink feet, so I investigated. we also get a lot of immature goldeneye year to year, some just have a hint of a white patch, some none, the biggest give away was the black bill.
woodduck31
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting