Question on diver spread

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Question on diver spread

Postby tredwards » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:13 pm

I have been talking for years about taking a season and devoting it primarily to hunting divers. I typically hunt puddlers over sheet water and geese in fields, but this drought has me leaning towards a diver season. How do you guys set your decoy lines? Individual like mallard dekes or gang rigs? What lengths of decoy line do you typically use? Finally, what type of spreads do you like to use on divers? Any help will be appreciated, thanks fellas.
tredwards
hunter

Re: Question on diver spread

Postby 1diverdown » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:43 pm

the best way to put out diver decoys is on lines. companies sell specialty equipment, but it s not necessary. My buddy, and I run out about 150 bluebills, whistlers, and bufflehead. Go out and buy your self some rot resistant rope( preferably a dark color) . 1/4 '' to 3/8. Set up 2 or 3, 100 ft runs of it . tie a loop every couple of feet in the lines.Buy some brass snap hooks ( these will cost $), and tie them to about 12'' of rope , and then to the bottom of your decoys.What we do is keep the lines seperate from the decoys, until we're ready to hunt. One guy unravels line, while the other, clips the decoys onto the line, and throwing them out of the boat, before moving to another( do this while driving slowly, dragging the line behind the boat.). Once you have a line full of decoys, anchor the far end, pull it taught, and then anchor the other end towards your blind . we put 3 lines, 30 to 40 decoys on each, and then scatter lose decoys , upwind, at the base of your lines towards where your blind is. the set up picks up the same in reverse and goes surprisingly quick, once you do it a few times. Hope this helps.
''Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.''
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting