bluebill rigging

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

bluebill rigging

Postby fugi1963 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:10 pm

I posted this in another forum and didn't get any response so I'll try it in this forum. I'm just getting into diver hunting and bought 2 dozen bluebill decoys. I will be hunting in water depth of 4'-7'. I don't know much about long lines and gang rigs but I'm wonder should I rig them this way or is the water shallow enough to rig them individually?
fugi1963
hunter

Re: bluebill rigging

Postby goosehunter64 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Long line....period..."BUT"...I would purchase another 1-2 doz...this way you can create a "head" or the hook in the J. Doing this with single droppers makes it easier in that depth of water....at least from my experience. :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Smith » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:56 pm

At those depths you can rig them any way you want. If I were only putting out two dozen decoys I'd set them on individual anchors, just so the rig would be more versatile. On a big rig, longlines are the only way to go (for me). One season years ago I set my whole layout rig, about 120 decoys, on individual anchors, and we always hunted in 10 to 15 feet of water. I did it just to see if getting away from the rank-and-file marching band look of the longlines would help bring in the late season educated birds. It didn't seem to make any difference at all. I quickly put them back on longlines.
Smith
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:49 pm

With only 2 dozen I'd send them out individually simply for flexibility for different location.

I would try to go to 4 doz, and have 2 on ll's and the original 2 stay singles
Paul26
hunter

Postby alloutwar13 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 pm

Im a longline guy myself but I hunt alot of high rivers and bays. If I had water levels like that I would single rig them just to get some random patterns out of the dekes. We always run longlines but we keep 1 or 2 dozen dekes single rigged just to break up those lines.
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote "I would rather get raped by a dude than have that happen to my d^&%"
alloutwar13
hunter

Postby TooTall » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Where are you located?

I personally would put 12' of heavy line, like parachute cord, one each decoy and call it a day. This makes it much easier to change up the spread and adapt to what you need. If you know how to drive a boat and have a good system of storing decoys there is no real time advantage to running longlines. Plus, down south, the longlines don't always cut it, and when we do run them, we have to mix in enough singles to break up the lines.

If you are up north and really want to use longlines, then more power to ya!
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby loon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:49 pm

I agree with Smith. For most diver situations it's just the number of decoys out. And long lines definitely are the easiest way to put out decoys. There are a lot of good posts on this forum as to how to set up your long lines. I use the collapsible tarp material garbage cans that people use for lawn care leaves and stuff to store my decoys that are always attached to the mother line. Once the decoys are out they collapse to flat and are easily stowed. Of course individually rigging them would work too but again Numbers are the key. Go on craigslist and buy any decoys of any brand the cheapest you can find you can paint them up as bluebells in about five minutes per decoy with spray paint I leave some flat black and have had great luck with these inexpensive decoys
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby fugi1963 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:40 pm

TooTall: I'm located in South Dakota.

I'm thinking I'll long line the original 2 dozen I bought and then get another dozen and rig them individually. I'll do some more research on this forum on the best way to rig up the longlines and store them. I really appreciate everyone's input!
fugi1963
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:42 am

alloutwar13 wrote:Im a longline guy myself but I hunt alot of high rivers and bays. If I had water levels like that I would single rig them just to get some random patterns out of the dekes. We always run longlines but we keep 1 or 2 dozen dekes single rigged just to break up those lines.

DITTO !!!

Quick little run down as to how I run my longlines, ... Free advice ... and take it or leave it.

Paracord on a Cord roll up ... Para cord run's .11 a foot at a local hardware store.

This is how i rig my Longline's. Grey 550 cord, 3 RxR spikes w/ stainless steel ring, u-bolt and clip. Painted the end of the line red to help in morning light. Red means 50' line ... White means 100'

Weights - Really easy concept

Another look at my longline weight rigging. I pound the ubolt at an angle after threaded, so it won't come apart in current.

I do a "wad" as my kill zone. I put 20+ deeks in a feeding wad at the meat & potatoes end of my long lines ... Gives the diversa place to slam on the brakes so to speak!

Hope this helps brother ... Good luck!
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:00 am

I don't like fussing with putting decoys on the main line in the dark, so I use 12 slot bags and keep the decs on them all the time. Easy to throw and easy to pick up. Only problem is I am limited to 12 decoys per line. Also the 12 slot bags take up more room in the boat. I am looking forward to making a gang rig this year to geT a realistic grouping effect.

BigBlondeBirdDog- Love the anchors out of rr ties. Anchors have always been the most expensive part. Great alternative. I went to my local fleet supply and bought farm machinery spades...heavy...metal...painted...cheap...worked for me.

Thanks to all for the great ideas!
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby The Mad Duck » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:38 am

We run mostly longlines of a dozen/two dozen birds. We do,however, have small gang rigs of 3 birds to help break up the marching soldier look. We also have a dozen or so singles we put out as well. If you decide to go with the longlines, be sure to put some birds facing backwards to again,break up the marching soldier look. If you have ever seen a large flock of birds on the water,you will know that they DO NOT all face the same direction.
BUCK OFAMA IN 2012
The Mad Duck
hunter

bluebill rigging

Postby Willie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Long lines and singles here too. Rigged up a dozen tandem last week too.
Willie
hunter

Postby Bird Junkie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:01 am

Most of the guys I know run all drakes. I only run like 5 hens in a 75 bird spread
Just being LUCKY!!!!!!! And hoping to be as great a dog trainer as Somebody
Bird Junkie
hunter

Postby shawnpowell » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:05 pm

i also hunt divers in that depth all of mine r on individual lines it makes it easier to put out and adjust in that depth a lot long lines help in deep water if u ever in va give me a call i have a spot for divers that is awsome 56 birds in 6 hunts 96 percent all drakes bluebill can goldeneye even buffle if u want to shootm
Coldfront0307
shawnpowell
Newb

Return to Diver Duck Hunting