Open Water Blind for Starcraft Freedom

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Open Water Blind for Starcraft Freedom

Postby baysportfishing » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 am

I had a couple of questions concerning a good open water blind for my 19ft Starcraft Freedom?

1. What would be the best blind to purchase for this boat?

2. What would be the best blind to make for this boat? I am not into drilling all kinds of holes. I was considering putting PVC pipe through the rod holders and draping grey canvas over it.

Here are some pictures of the boat in walleye fishing mode.
Any ideas would be appreciated?

baysportfishing
hunter

Re: Open Water Blind for Starcraft Freedom

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Buy a duck boat! :smile:

A simple pvc or metal conduit blind will probably work. I don't like drilling holes either, but finally had to put some SS Bimini top bases on mine to attach the blind.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:15 pm

How do you like your Freedom? How long have you had yours so far? I really like the looks of the Freedom. I have been drooling over one at the local marina for the last few years. If I were buying a new boat I'd get the same thing. Are you running a 60HP? What are you getting for speeds?

Enough questions from me. To answer your question about a blind, without hesitation, I would buy and install a Beavertail blind on your boat. I have a 16' deepV style aluminum boat and have had a Beavertail blind for nearly 10 years. It's a wonderful and versatile blind. I bolt mine to the boat (and then of course take it off during fishing season) but bolting it down is a matter of preference. I use my blind in the salt marshes for puddle ducks and divers and on the open water for sea ducks and it works great.
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby baysportfishing » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:20 am

I absolutly love the boat!
It handles big water waves very well and is very roomy. I have the 90hp Mercury 4-stroke tiller and top speed is 40mph. I am really looking forward to hunting out of this boat this season.

Thanks guys for the input on the blind. I'm still not sure on what blind is going on it.
baysportfishing
hunter

Postby baysportfishing » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:57 pm

The boat is for sale if you are interested.

2012 Starcraft Freedom 180T
18’11”, 89” beam.
Olive color for both hunting and fishing.
Lifetime hull warranty, fully transferable to second owner.
Mercury 90hp 4 stroke tiller (Mercury under warranty until September 2017)
Big Tiller handle
SS prop
Shorelander Galvanized single axle bunk trailer with swing tongue
Custom snap on travel and mooring cover.
3 bank battery charger
Motorguide Wireless Series Bowmount with built in transducer; 24 volt, 75lb thrust.
One Deka starting battery; two Deka AGM Gel no maintenance trolling motor batteries.
Lowrance HDS 5 sonar/gps combo with Structure Scan
3 seats and 4 seat bases
8 Ram Rod Holders with bases.
Full livewell and bilge pump
This rig is in mint condition and is ready for fishing or hunting.
$22,000
sagadyr@yahoo.com
989-385-1311
baysportfishing
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:57 pm

The layout is identical to my Lund. Im sure it's built by the same company. Its a spitting image of an Alaskan. Same storage same vinyl flooring, everything. Im sure the Freedom is just as good if not better than a Lund.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:28 pm

the lunds have a track system along the inside of the gunnels. I can't tell if your boat has them or not. if it does, you can snap angled platforms into the tracks and mount the avery quickset blind pretty easily. you may have to adapt some of those RAM holders...like used for sonar or gps holders. I think there might be some minor fabrication involved to get the platforms to fit the track. I suppose that your boat is now for sale, that you may not need to put a blind on it.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby Wi Browndog » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Can somebody give me the measurement accross the floor between the storeage compartments? Checking if my layout boat will sit on the floor. That big tiller would make a great tender.
"Every day is a good day - some are just better than others"
Wi Browndog
hunter

Postby baysportfishing » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:34 am

The boat is 55inches between the compartments
baysportfishing
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:08 pm

After looking a bit closer the Lund Alaskan is a tad different. Up front theres 2 more compartments for storage and the Lunds have the pro-track for mounting rod holders and what not. Still very close in design and looks. Probably both made by Brunswick. Boats like this and alaskans dont last for long around here. If you find one for sale you better jump on it. Awesome boats.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby Kevin J Legg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:46 am

My Lund Alaskan 18 looks to be a very similar boat except for counsel steering. I used burlap, bungy cord, tie wraps, pipe fittings, conduit and a 2 by 4 to convert my fishing boat into a duck boat. The 2 by 4 is bolted to rod holders in back. The only thing I drilled was for pipe fittings in the front that screw out when I'm not duck hunting. It was very inexpensive and works well. I drape more camo over the top to further hid the hunters. The seats are super comfortable and it hunts 3 comfortably. The electric motor makes setting decoys and retrieving birds a snap. I use long lines and it sets up quickly. I can convert from a fishing machine with electric riggers, planning board pole, and rod holders to a duck boat in about 10 minutes. Also the kicker is great security for big water hunts late in the year. I tried sending photos but need to reduce for it to be accepted.
Kevin J Legg
hunter

Postby baysportfishing » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am

Here are a few pics of the Starcraft in action.

baysportfishing
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting