which layout boat?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Re: which layout boat?

Postby addicted2ducks » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:50 pm

got another question for you guys. Got a buddy that is planning on building us an alluminum layout boat this year. Is there any reason that almost all the layout boats have a pointed nose on them? He was thinking that if he squared the nose off it would save him a bunch of welding and some money on alluminum.
addicted2ducks
hunter

Postby HiZ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:25 pm

loon wrote:Hey the Lake Bonnie's look great but it's crazy to try to ship one, I wish someone made a good one within a 4 hr drive of Green Bay

there is a guy that makes them in Peshtigo
Just sat in one today that my friend purchased
We were on Winnebago and it was well! Chop with 20+mph wind
I am also making a butterfly conversion that I am doing up, much more stable and DRY!
VERY DRY
Took it out today and it worked great, just have some finishing touches on it, if you are doing the BAY I could custom make one for you also. Anyway, don't know exactly what you want but some prelim pics of the Butterfly and one person can carry is easily
HiZ
hunter

which layout boat?

Postby trigger22 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:20 am

addicted2ducks wrote:got another question for you guys. Got a buddy that is planning on building us an alluminum layout boat this year. Is there any reason that almost all the layout boats have a pointed nose on them? He was thinking that if he squared the nose off it would save him a bunch of welding and some money on alluminum.

Yes because it wouldn't ride the water right like it is supposed to. Nothing saying you can't do it but if you plan on hunting big open water I would advise against it
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby tcg5099 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:05 pm

jimmyscott wrote:Is a 1648 too small to put a layout on the front? I have a Weldbilt 1648 v-flat.

IMG_0416.JPG

When we hunt presque isle we use a 12 ft v-bottom and we put the layout boat on it. im sure you would have no problem with the 16 footer. even my main lake boat is only a 17ft deep-v.
Tyler
tcg5099
hunter

Postby addicted2ducks » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:18 am

question, we are about to finish up our layout boat. How do most people, or what is the best way to put a layout boat in the tender boat while going to the spot your going to hunt? Iv got a 1754 tracker boat. WOuld it be best to lay it sidways across the front of the boat?
addicted2ducks
hunter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting