Does any one have info on waterfowl hunting in SE WI

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Does any one have info on waterfowl hunting in SE WI

Postby zigtech » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:15 pm

I have a dog and a duck call looking for some advice where too hunt for ducks and geese I been hunting for years and have never had much luck with ducks and I only have shot regular geese I would be grateful for any help.
zigtech
hunter

Re: Does any one have info on waterfowl hunting in SE WI

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:16 pm

Its this simple GAS=SCOUT=DUCKS[SOMETIMES!]
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Re: Does any one have info on waterfowl hunting in SE WI

Postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 am

I'm just getting into it as well. I'm finding there are two ways to do it. You can go to all the spots that EVERYONE knows about. Most walk in spots you are shoulder to shoulder (figuratively) to a million big city sky blasters. I am in Waukesha county and places like the vernon marsh, jefferson marsh, etc are good spots to hunt, easy to walk into, usually get into some shooting but lots of other hunters. I thought I would get a mud motor this yr and hunt Rome Pond in Jefferson. Being that it was so low I thought it would be good as far as not many guys getting out there with boats. I ended up not getting the motor and I drove past rome pond on opening day there was at least 20 trucks and trailers in the lot, everyone had a jon boat and mud motor. I didnt miss out on much. Its hard to get away from other hunters around here. The other option is doing your homework and pushing the boundaries as far as hunting close to the city and peoples homes. I've had a great season so far and its because I find a lake with ducks and I do some homework checking local ordinances and find that one legal spot on the lake to hunt when the rest of it is loaded with houses. We deal with some real a-holes and a lot of anti hunters, its not as peaceful as hunting up north or out in a swamp, but we get into a lot of birds. And usually they are unpressured birds as well because they are mainly hanging out on peoples lawns and in parks. I guess its kind of like cheating, but its fun. My go to spot is loaded with geese and mallards, and a bunch of neighbors who like to watch us hunt and scream at us. Gotta take the good with the bad!

If you can get your hands on a kayak/skiff/canoe Big Muskego might be the place to go. Haven't been out there but I hear theres not enough water to run a motor in it and there are a lot of ducks too!
BackWoodsHunter
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting