Pics of your spread.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Pics of your spread.

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Come on guys... i would love to see a bunch of your diver deke setups. Just to get a feel for how you set them up and to get a real good look.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Re: Pics of your spread.

Postby Shade » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Good luck with that.

1) Not a lot of guys take pics of their spread

2) Pics of spreads often show enough landscape to give away a spot

3) Camera phone pics contain a GPS signature

But here is a substitute. This is how my spread will be run this year in combination to my buddies spread. The hash marks are decoys, the bottom edge of the paper is the shoreline, the long lines are the Main Lines of the rigs. Middle 4 sets of lines are 100ft. The sets on each side are 50 ft lines.

Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Do you drop any singles or groups... idk it jsutg seems so unrealistic to me to put all the decoys in big long lines... I guess im jut a newb to diver huntinand thats how muchi know about it (0). And i wanted to see some real spread my bad tho.
hunter

Postby addicted2ducks » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:01 pm

shade, excuse the dumb question here from a beginner diver hunter. but why do you seperate the species? iv always seen the ducks just mixed up among other ducks.
addicted2ducks
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 am

: Since I'm the other half of the pic spread above, I'll answer that.

Diver ducks are at times "racist", ... pure and simple. Goldeneyes DO NOT land on a line with Can's, ... Outta 5 years, never had one, but if you bunch them up and set them to a side, they will land RIGHT THERE. Buffies will sorta land with everything, Bluebills pretty much the same.

I've found that with Can's, doesn't matter the length of long line, but put a gap bteween the two longlines. Can's want a hole or gap to land in, and don't wanna worry about crowding. Last year, I was in the blind with Shade, showing him the ropes, ... and couldn't get a larger group of 10-15 Cans to land. I went out, moved my lines 7-9 yards apart farther .... and then couldn't keep'em outta the spread.

The "WAD" is to simulate the group setting your talking about were you just mix all the reds, cans, blues, buff's, ringers you want ... But the LL's are species specific only. IMO.
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby Shade » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:58 pm

In all honesty, everything I know about diver hunting was learned from BBBD, another guy that I go sea duck hunting with, and by reading this forum, and a small amount of trial and error. Truthfully.... Anything you try CAN work. It just depends on the day, the birds, and the location. Here's the way I look at it.... Everyone sees ducks (puddlers, divers, or sea ducks) sitting in groups together. What not everyone sees, is that they don't FLY together. Sure, you see a group of one specie with the occasional 1 or 2 birds of a different specie mixed in. But 99% of the time Cans fly with Cans, and BB fly with BB, etc. What this means: Ducks are racist to a certain extent. All of them. But none of them discriminate when there is a handy food source or a "safe" place to loaf. In the above spread where long lines lead to a wad, it is my own personal belief that ducks see 1) a food source/"safe place that the wad of decoys has found and 2) Lines of newer ducks who have recently landed and are swimming into the wad. I believe these too things because every time I have hunted longlines.... I have watched groups of one kind of duck land 40 yards outside the spread and swim single file into the spread. I believe in the single specie lines, because I heard BBBD tell me the night before my first ever diver hunt "you watch these divers.. They will fly in from any direction and find the line with there own specie. They will make a sharp turn if they have to, but the will follow that line all the way in to the wad and land." Now, being the skeptic that I am, I felt the same way that you do. I thought to myself "we'll see, I bet that is the 'goal' and not the usual." Then we set out our spread in the morning and hunted divers all day for two days straight. And sure as SH!T, those dang divers did exactly that. All day long. Both days. It was the most surreal thing to hear someone predict how birds would react to our spread, and then watch that prediction be accurate 95% of the time. I was blown away and hooked on diver hunting from that day. Sorry for the long winded reply.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:21 pm

So wait Shade... Them little dots your drew on there are in fact a mix of decoys... sorry i had no clue lol. But oky man you guys know best, il trust you. Il give this a try then!! Thanks again for all your help!
hunter

Postby Shade » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:21 am

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling wrote:So wait Shade... Them little dots your drew on there are in fact a mix of decoys... sorry i had no clue lol. But oky man you guys know best, il trust you. Il give this a try then!! Thanks again for all your help!

No apologies needed. I asked a million questions while learning. And these guys will tell you I still ask questions. Keep asking, and try what you learn... If it doesn't work, make a change on the spot. Do what you think will work. If it does.... Tell me what you did!!! I am still learning, and you don't have to have years of experience to share something that works. (Or didn't work for that matter. Big Tip... If divers are checking out your spread but not committing, change it up.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:39 am

Okay man, sounds good! Thanks again bud!
hunter

Postby Yeller Dawg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:54 pm

Sorry WWW, not trying to steal your thread, but got a question. By your drawing looks like you have 14 or 16 doz. deeks out. How many would you say is min for a guy trying to build a diver spread?

I don't target diver right now ... but some day!!!

IDf
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:17 am

: 2-3-4 dozen ... You can do two lines and a "wad" with that, and get respectable looks.
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby Shade » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:05 am

We only get that many out when we combine spreads. We hunt with a third guy as well. Of the three of us, I have the least amount of decoys at 12 dozen.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby Yeller Dawg » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:07 am

I'll bet it's an impressive sight! What are you hauling that many deeks each in, boat wise? I'm starting to look around for one and might as well keep this in mind. The wife wants me to go bigger anyway for safety sake.
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Postby HighBrassDivers » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:51 am

Here is picture of us picking up a spread a couple years ago. We had hunted all day and this was taken as light was fading. I always thought it looked pretty cool. This spread was probably around 200 decoys and in this pic we had picked up the majority of the singles with only the lines remaining.
Attachments
HBD pictwo.JPG
HighBrassDivers
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:22 am

Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby haswell02 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:53 am

Boy that sure is nice u can walk out and pick decs up. Wish I had more spots like that. Makes it whole lot easier
haswell02
Newb

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:05 am

Sweet guys THANKYOU so much for the pics.. They are helping me envision what im gonna do now, alot better! Im excited to hunt some divers. I gotta wait about amonth and a half though. They dont really start t show up here until late november!
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:26 am

Yes...it is sweet setting them from shore...and had great shoots. Sometimes we've had to set them from a boat...but always a great time..
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Shade » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Yeller Dawg wrote:I'll bet it's an impressive sight! What are you hauling that many deeks each in, boat wise? I'm starting to look around for one and might as well keep this in mind. The wife wants me to go bigger anyway for safety sake.

Mesh decoy bags.... On our backs... 5 dozen at a time .... Multiple trips.... Hunthing from shore so it's wadeable. The 50lbs of anchors is the toughest part. A decoy cart when feasible, and a little jet sled to drag on the ground when feasible.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby CAM_C » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Shade and BBBD

Tell us how you deal with the wind and sun?

Do you always want your back to the sun?
how do the lines work with flight patterns, with the flight or 90 deg?
Do you like the lines with the wind, so the duck are swiming into the group or dose it matter?
If you were in open water and had 360 deg setup how would you do it? showing wind, sun, flight pattern
What is most important when you set up? rank from 1 to 3 sun, flight pattern, wind
Assuming the wind and sun can't be at your back.
If you setup a big spread and hunt all day do you change it up at noon? switch from AM setup to a PM setup

Thanks for your help
Cam
CAM_C
hunter

Postby Shade » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 am

CAM_C wrote:Shade and BBBD

Do you like the lines with the wind, so the duck are swiming into the group or dose it matter?
If you were in open water and had 360 deg setup how would you do it? showing wind, sun, flight pattern
What is most important when you set up? rank from 1 to 3 sun, flight pattern, wind
If you setup a big spread and hunt all day do you change it up at noon? switch from AM setup to a PM setup

Thanks for your help
Cam

Wind at your back if you can, but it always depends on the birds. I personally haven't hunted "open water" with 360 degree ha of water around me.... But divers are looking for a couple things. 1) place to eat 2) place to loaf. If I were hunting open water, most likely I would find a couple large rafts of birds that are loafing out in the middle somewhere. The birds will typically trade back and forth between the two rafts in smaller groups. I would set up between the rafts trying for crossing shots from either direction. Aside from that, I am hunting near a shoreline and making my spread like a feeding location. I am sure there are many other way to do it, but those two are the extent of my current knowledge and experience. I know there is a method that some guys utilizing really long main lines and a "J" Hook at the end where the shooters set up. But I don't know the ins and outs of it. I am sure there are a few guys on here that can explain that method.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby Yeller Dawg » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:45 am

Shade wrote:[quote="Yeller Dawg"Mesh decoy bags.... On our backs... 5 dozen at a time .... Multiple trips

You guys are earning those ducks.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I may have to start paying more attention to the divers in my area. Got a lot buffies and a few GE for sure. Thanks for the info guys.
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:03 pm

WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Tealer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:55 am

Thanks for your help
Cam

For divers none of that makes any difference. They are not puddle ducks. In a couple spots I set up in the wrong wind every time, since I prefer them to fly by and not land (exception is cans). Tide is more of an issue since long line lengths are set a 10' swing can sag the lines or sink the end decoys. Btw I NEVER run a 360 spread, that puts the focus on the boat.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ohioboy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 am

Shade wrote:

Thanks for your help
Cam

Wind at your back if you can, but it always depends on the birds. I personally haven't hunted "open water" with 360 degree ha of water around me.... But divers are looking for a couple things. 1) place to eat 2) place to loaf. If I were hunting open water, most likely I would find a couple large rafts of birds that are loafing out in the middle somewhere. The birds will typically trade back and forth between the two rafts in smaller groups. I would set up between the rafts trying for crossing shots from either direction. Aside from that, I am hunting near a shoreline and making my spread like a feeding location. I am sure there are many other way to do it, but those two are the extent of my current knowledge and experience. I know there is a method that some guys utilizing really long main lines and a "J" Hook at the end where the shooters set up. But I don't know the ins and outs of it. I am sure there are a few guys on here that can explain that method.

Anchor up and put out just like you would on shore, as long as you have a boat. I have shot divers standing up in a boat with no cover. Shot a few while taking a leak even. They follow the lines in. It's cool to see. Lines, j shapes, balls, all work from my experiences. Just give a focal point other than you.
ohioboy
hunter

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting