Use mojos for divers?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Use mojos for divers?

Postby Stack_em_up » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 pm

I've tried using a mojo for divers before and im not sure if it helped, anyone out there have advice or any stories where they helped or hurt your hunt?
Stack_em_up
hunter

Re: Use mojos for divers?

Postby Willie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:51 am

Seems earlier in the season they help moreso than later in the season.
Willie
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Agreed. I have uses one on coastline in Florida for reds,and have had scaup cup in on it twice after getting shot at on first pass. It all depends. Its worked for me but it may not work every time
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Stack_em_up » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 pm

Sweet! I was told that you should have them on the most upwind part of your spread is that true or what?
Stack_em_up
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Like I said it all depends. Were in the panhandle so a strong south wind during a front coming from the gulf tends to push those large rafts of birds closer to shore because they usually hang out almost a mile from shore during day. We would stick ours almost in middle of spread on like a 10' pole and that's it. Plus we have issues with tide too sobthat makes a difference. If u have a good sustained wind then yes I would set it so that it is facing into wind. I dony think location matters but it's really trial and error.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Stack_em_up » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Alright nice i will have to try it out and see how it works!
Stack_em_up
hunter

Postby Tennesseehick » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:55 am

Works for us, we've put two or three out at times. Bluebills don't seem to mind where they are located.
Tennesseehick
hunter

Postby Teal_Blaster » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:20 pm

I usually put the mojo in the pocket I want my ducks to land. Not sure if it is correct or not, but I have no complaints. :grooving:
Teal_Blaster
hunter

Postby Feathers » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:08 pm

You are better off without them IMO. I have field tested this quite a bit.
Feathers
hunter

Postby Gabe1Davis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:51 pm

some people might disagree with me, but i use a mojo on diving ducks and, IMO, it works great. hell one time we set out two dozen floaters...but with 5 mojos. worked great. it worked well to catch their attention and pull them off from a ways away and right onto the spread.
professional redneck.
Gabe1Davis
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:19 pm

I have had no discernible advantage with them. I have decided this year to try flagging.
Paul26
hunter

Postby vanover » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:17 pm

I use them on and off. Makes little to diff where i am. It helps me better on overcast days
vanover
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:50 pm

This may not help anyone but way up north here in Minnesota they help maybe because the birds aren't educated yet but I have a mojo bluebill floater and love it. I have had birds turn hard on it on the lakes I have hunted with it and my hunting buddies as well. He also purchased a mallard mojo floater and is thinking of painting it up as a redhead. I think it would look cooler than pull birds in but who knows. We like to set ours at the landing zone at the head of our line rigs. Just my .02
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby Stack_em_up » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:48 am

Well this last week I hunted divers in northern mn and I used a mojo on a rainy dark day and I have to say that it really seemed to help early in the morning when it was still dark and raining but as the day went on and got lighter and stopped raining the birds started to come in then they would flair the mojo.
Stack_em_up
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting