Going to try out diver hunting...need some tips

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Going to try out diver hunting...need some tips

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 am

hey guys, i got my first hunting boat this year and decided i was going to try and shoot some divers this year. my buddy has an insane amount of diver decoys and said i could use em anytime, so why not try and shoot some? everybody i talk to that shoots divers says they put their blocks in lines. why is that? is there some scientific reason for that or is that just the way things work? also how do these ducks like robos? are they like geese and flair off of them or do they not even pay attention to them?

sorry for some dumb questions, but we've all gotta learn some how.

Thanks guys! good luck this season!
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Re: Going to try out diver hunting...need some tips

Postby dankoustas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Most guys use longlines to set out diver decoys, since they are setting out such a large amount, five dozen singles would take forever to put out and pick up. Do a few searches on long lines and you will find more information than you can handle.
dankoustas
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:39 pm

If you are just starting out you can forgo the longlines for now and just do a simple V or J shaped spread with blocks filling in the outer parts of the bottom of the notch or J...leaving a hole in the middle for the birds to land into.

Longlines are a conveniant way to deploy and recover large numbers of decoys in a hurry. They also act as the legs of a J or a V to make something of of a curb or buffer for birds to fly alongside as they come into the main spread. If you are just starting you can create the same effect with individual decoys placed 3'-5' apart (depending upon water depth and line length) to see if they work for you.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby duckstruck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm

My tip is to lead em and then lead em some more. :thumbsup:
duckstruck
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:56 pm

^^^^^
Actually this is one of the advantages of diver hunting...one gets to see where he is shooting in relation to the bird and can adjust on the fly.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! Why do divers land in lines? Is there a reason for this?
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Divers dont "land in lines". Set up lines because divers like to follow the line to you wad of decoys where we kill them.

Run a blob with lines coming off of it. Many of time the divers will be buzzing the water and swing right to the blob following you longlines. No it is not realistic as divers dont sit on perfect lines but theres a reason is has been practiced decade after decade.

Good luck, Love me some diver huntin
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:16 pm

koonce727 wrote:Divers dont "land in lines". Set up lines because divers like to follow the line to you wad of decoys where we kill them.

Run a blob with lines coming off of it. Many of time the divers will be buzzing the water and swing right to the blob following you longlines. No it is not realistic as divers dont sit on perfect lines but theres a reason is has been practiced decade after decade.

Good luck, Love me some diver huntin

Thanks man. I understand now. Good luck to ya this year.
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting