Hen Buffie Decoys.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Hen Buffie Decoys.

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 am

Has anyone ever painted any hen buffies. If so could i see a pic of one... My friend is painting hotbuy mallards into buffies and BBs and we would like to see if anyone had any hens turn out good and how they did it.

Thanks,

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Re: Hen Buffie Decoys.

Postby LeakyBoot » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Rookie decoy painter here but my thinking was you can hardly screw up a Hen Buffy.
So I'm thinking of putting out an all Hen Buffy spread some day just to see what happens and decided to paint some Herters Blue Bills into Buffys.
Here's one of them.

LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 am

Sweet man thanks.. just wondering. Looks prtty good
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:37 am

I could only find this 8 year old photo of a foamer, but GHG teal make a great bufflehead. The spot on the snake river we have hunted over the past 10 years is a real tough decoying spot, due to several reasons, ducks just don't like it, so we have to convince them to land where they really didn't intend to when they were flying the river channel. For several years we watched group after group of buffleheads fly right on by without as much as a look. I can remember only decoying one drake and one hen into goldeneye decoys over those years. About 6 years ago we painted up some ghg teal as buffie drakes and it didn't improve things much. 4 years ago we got some advice from back east to use more hens than drakes, that made sense, when we saw groups up buffies flying right off the water upriver there were usually only a few visible drakes and a lot of hens, or that was what it seemed. We started using 3 drakes and 9 hens and it was like flipping a switch, nearly every buffie we saw started coming in. Buffy drakes don't get full color the first year, so the numbers in most groups include a lot of hens and immature drakes and only a few mature black and white drakes. The switch to more hens made a huge difference.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:15 am

Wow they look good.. u paint those? I wanted to get some GHG teal nad paint um into buffies more realistic. I only have 6 ghg oversized buffie drakes but my friend is painting some more and told him to do mainly hens
hunter

Postby belaltonarchery » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:12 pm

what colors did you use to paint that hen buffy?
belaltonarchery
Newb

Return to Diver Duck Hunting