Canvasback Hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Canvasback Hunting

Postby rwrecknagel24 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 am

Any of you have any good luck with Guided Canvasback hunts in Wisconsin on the Mississippi River?
Contact Info would be great! thanks
rwrecknagel24
Newb

Re: Canvasback Hunting

Postby TooTall » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 pm

The trip is definitely on my bucket list.

Check out Tony Toye, never hunted with him, but have heard nothing but good things from those that have.

http://www.toyesbigriverguideservice.com/
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Toye or Hideaway Hollow.

Or post in the WI forum. A guide is not needed. Plenty of guys with boat blinds and all the guide commodites. Ive opened my boat blind up to others before. Shooting Cans around here is like getting a beer at a WI bar. The only way to not get one is not show up.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:25 pm

I'll just throw this out there. I'll take anyone out that passes through northern Utah. I had around 200 swimming around the deeks. You could pick your trophy.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby jimmyscott » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Wisconsin Coastal Outfitters put me on the divers. I shot my first can on that hunt, and I learned a bunch too! Check em out: http://coastalwisconsin.com/.

canvas back for web.jpg
jimmyscott
hunter

Postby wstober » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:43 pm

koonce727 wrote:Toye or Hideaway Hollow.

Or post in the WI forum. A guide is not needed. Plenty of guys with boat blinds and all the guide commodites. Ive opened my boat blind up to others before. Shooting Cans around here is like getting a beer at a WI bar. The only way to not get one is not show up.

Both guys will put you on Cans. I have not hunted with either group but I have had the opportunity and meet and spend some time talking with Toye and you will have no problem getting an opportunity for a Can if they are there. Likewise I have heard good things about Hideaway as well.

Like Koonce mentioned you don't need a guide. I try to hunt the area almost every year and either hunt with a local or when he can't make it I run solo. If you've got a decent amount of hunting experience you will have no problem free lancing for a Can. Kind of like going to Maine and trying to shoot an Eider. The hardest part is picking which one.

By the way, I love the beer analogy! So True!

Either way Good luck and if they are in you might get to see the cloud of 300,000+ Cans!
wstober
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:39 pm

rwrecknagel24 wrote:Any of you have any good luck with Guided Canvasback hunts in Wisconsin on the Mississippi River?
Contact Info would be great! thanks

Honestly, assuming you have an appropriate sized boat, if you spend the day scouting you can easily get your bird plus more especially now when the birds are there at their peak. Seems kind of unnecessary to pay for a guided hunt to shoot one bird.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby kitasdad » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:40 pm

I'd wait a week or two. Divers haven't fully moved into the Miss Valley of WI in huge numbers yet.
kitasdad
hunter

Postby MightyDuckSlayer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:02 am

Has anyone heard if the divers have hit Potosi yet? Want to head out soon wondering if I'm too late or too early.
MightyDuckSlayer
Newb

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:25 am

Im going out to the Mississippi Pool 9 this weekend. I have never hunted it but one of my friends has a relative who is like a part time guide for a guide service on Pool 9, so we know where to go. With the cold weather in Canada their there. We actually shot 2 mature drake cans this morning, Madison, WI. I don't really think u need a guide tho. If u have enough decoys and know basic waterfowl stuff u should be good. I'm located 2 hours away from the river so I gonna go 3-4 times this year. If your a ways a way I guess your gonna want to get a guide. I would NOT GO WITH TOYE. Never been with him but heard to many things about him.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting