Mounting a Canvasback

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Mounting a Canvasback

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 am

Hey Im heading to the Mississippi river Pool 9 a couple times this year. I want to mount a drake canvasback. I am wondering what I should do when I have shot the bird. I just shot 1 this morning that was all white and definitely mature but I want to put one up on the wall from Pool 9, just has a lot of history to it. I know theirs a mounting section but I figure a lot of u guys have mounted ducks before. Also some mount ideas would be cool too. Thanks!
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Re: Mounting a Canvasback

Postby apexhunter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:32 pm

You mentioned it yourself...check out the taxidermy forum as there are many good ideas.

Check out this thread for ideas where you'll see every species of duck mounted in several poses viewtopic.php?f=73&t=96960
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby wstober » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 pm

I usually have a taxidermist in mind before I ever head out the door. Check with the one you are going to use and he will be able to help you out on the best way to preserve/transport it.
wstober
hunter

Postby bsbritton78 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:27 pm

I have 2 cans mounted and I love the dead mount one the best. It just gives an ol time feeling and makes a great conversation piece. A 2 gallon zip lock bag will do the trick before putting in the freezer.
bsbritton78
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:49 pm

I am a woodshop teacher and a student just shot a nice wood duck and is getting it mounted. He wanted to make a wood base and put a rock in it to have the bird standing on. In this process, he looked online and saw a greenwing teal mounted in a way that it looked like it was taking off from the water. The taxidermist must have used an epoxy mixture in a way that it formed to look like a splash of water. The bird was connected with an acrylic rod (which you couldn't see) to the epoxy mixture....anyway, I thought it was the coolest mount I have ever seen.

As for after you kill the bird, I have heard to keep a woman's nylon in your game bag so you can put it over the bird to keep the feathers in line...never done it, but it seems to make sense to me... Good luck in your hunt.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby taylormn14 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 am

I have shot several to take to the taxi and he wont mount them unless they are fully plumed out. Cans have their best color a little bit later than other ducks. He wont mount them unless there are no pin feathers in the head. If you take an ink pen and run the feathers backwards you can see the pin feathers. If possible take him several ducks and let him pick the best one. Hard to do with only a 1 duck limit i know. ducks that I thought looked great he wouldnt even do. My taxi might be more picky than the next guy but his birds are first class when they are done.
Life is to short to sweat the small stuff. Do what you love and do it often.
taylormn14
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting