Diver Duck Hunters

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Diver Duck Hunters

Postby A_Winnie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Anyone diver duck hunt Michigan or the great lakes Just wondering what species is most common around this area? also what species does your decoy spread most consist of?
2014-2015 Season
A_Winnie
hunter

Re: Diver Duck Hunters

Postby alipinski397 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:22 pm

I hunt Saginaw bay. Blue bills and red heads are majority. But pretty much most species depending on the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
alipinski397
hunter

Postby Smith » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:59 pm

I hunt Lake St. Clair. The most consistently present divers might possibly be the little buffleheads, although I don't shoot them. We go for bluebills, which show up in big numbers, followed perhaps by redheads. Almost anything shows up from time to time. For example, last weekend there were lots of white winged scoters around, while the weekend before that it was ruddies. Our layout rig is almost entirely bluebills, while the sneak rig is bluebills and redheads.
Smith
hunter

Postby Pond_Hopper » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm looking to get into divers also do you guys call at all or just let ur spread decoys bring in the ducks? Also average amount of decoys you guys use out there. I have a good lake close by that gets alot of buffys, mergeners. I see them rafting out there later in the season and I want to give them a go.
Pond_Hopper
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:26 pm

I hunt coastal Marsh, small, and large bodies of freshwater and to me the spread size depends on the location. If I'm on large water ill put my whole spread out, even dabblers like my teal dekes. Typically ill run 3-4 dozen birds and that's a mixed variety (reds,ringers,BB,teal, coots). As far as calling I will occasionally let out some grunts with my teal call and ive gotten to where it sounds just like a bluebill or bufflehead. And it has worked well even with turning redheads. Spread does most of work though
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:52 pm

we hunt in lake st.clair as well, on the south shore in canada. we shot 18 birds today, all blue bills. our spread consists basically of bluebills with a couple dozen buffies and cans in there to but mainly all blue bills as every duck will decoy to them. today we had one big wad of 4 dozen decoys in front of the blind with a long line on eavh side of the wad hooking out and two long lines going straight out from the wad.
quack wackr
hunter

Postby Smith » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Pond_Hopper, I can't answer for anyone else, but I don't call divers at all, nor does anyone I hunt with. For sneak hunting we use six dozen decoys; bluebills and redheads. For the layout rig, we use around 120 bluebills. Mergansers occasionally land in either rig. Buffleheads too, but they more often buzz through the rig and keep going. We don't use goldeneye decoys anymore, but when we did, almost every bufflehead went straight for them, presumably because of the black and white appearance of the drakes. I've gotta believe that if buffleheads are your target, bufflehead decoys would be your best bet.
Smith
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting