Tides

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Tides

Postby waterfowler646 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:04 am

What is the best tide for hunting divers on the coast?
2012/2013 Totals:
26 BWT
8 Bluebills
3 Redheads
3 Buffleheads
waterfowler646
hunter

Re: Tides

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 am

Are you hunting from shore or layout?
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby waterfowler646 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Shore
2012/2013 Totals:
26 BWT
8 Bluebills
3 Redheads
3 Buffleheads
waterfowler646
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:41 am

waterfowler646 wrote:Shore

I don't know how much your areas tide draws but down here in FL it typically ranges from 4-6'. Where we hunt from shore however is in the gulf on an island and the only time our dekes are floating is if it is three hours before or after high tide. If not then dekes are in mud and water is 300 yards away. So for our area we have to hunt incoming or beginning of outgoing. Depends on location and the terrain as well as species you are targeting. Some birds forage on low tides in certain areas.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:39 am

Our best times are when it was high tide going out just after sun rise, or half tide coming in with some bad weather with it.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:31 am

many things factor into the answer for this question.

One, what are you hunting? puddlers or divers, or geese?

what is the vegetation in the areas thats available for food?

an example up in the northeast when the tide is up...the puddlers cant reach the weeds and vegation they would eat in winter months while on the salt water..

they need to feed when the tide is down...

maybe where you are there are some plants up near the high water mark that ducks could feed on..like wild rice.

divers on the other hand are way less dependant on tides..... as long as the water is 20 feet or less you should be fine for divers...although i have found many species like 5-10 feet, as long as there is a food sourse there.

you might hunt a back calm spot on the bay where the puddlers may load and rest.....at high tide....

the current plays a role as well....

good luck

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby wstober » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:37 am

I've had fantastic shoots on the mud flats of dead low. Every stage of the tide is good someplace for something.

Just tell us where you are hunting and we will go scout the area, spend time watching the birds and tell you when is the best time to hunt that area. :no:
wstober
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 pm

toolmaker wrote:many things factor into the answer for this question.

an example up in the northeast when the tide is up...the puddlers cant reach the weeds and vegation they would eat in winter months while on the salt water..

maybe where you are there are some plants up near the high water mark that ducks could feed on..like wild rice.

divers on the other hand are way less dependant on tides..... as long as the water is 20 feet or less you should be fine for divers...although i have found many species like 5-10 feet, as long as there is a food sourse there.

you might hunt a back calm spot on the bay where the puddlers may load and rest.....at high tide....

good luck

the tool

LOL..First, this is the diver forum, second, he asked for hunting divers. Diver also are very dependent on the tides... :huh:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:54 pm

goosehunter64 wrote:

good luck

the tool

LOL..First, this is the diver forum, second, he asked for hunting divers. Diver also are very dependent on the tides... :huh:

my bad.......he did say divers.....

but i dont see much if any effect of the divers where I hunt,,,with the with the exception of the hunter being able to access a place the birds feed....

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:01 pm

toolmaker wrote:
goosehunter64 wrote:

good luck

the tool

my bad.......he did say divers.....

but i dont see much if any effect of the divers where I hunt,,,with the with the exception of the hunter being able to access a place the birds feed....

the tool

It's all good..I just had to torment ya :thumbsup: :tongue:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting