First Goldy!

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

First Goldy!

Postby pweisbrod » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:08 am

I once read in a duck hunting story that goldeneyes decoy heroically. I know what they meant now. The first goldeneye I've ever seen, let alone shot. I think its a nice bird, he had a really puffed up head before I got it wet picking him up.

This is my first year as a diver hunter, and man, screw them stupid park ducks! big water diver hunting rules!!! :lol:

I've been struggling to get birds to decoy, i put out about twice as many decoys as I normally do today, and what a difference it made.

PS- do you think this is a mountable quality bird? His head is almost like a drake mallard in the sunlight, so I think he's a stud.
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Re: First Goldy!

Postby WBH » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:45 am

Good looking bird! IMO GE make a great mount take that jewel to the taxidermist. Congrats, your hooked now.
WBH
hunter

Postby quacksmackerguide » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 am

Well done. That's a nice bird put him on the wall congrats
quacksmackerguide
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks guys! Appreciate it. I am going to have him done for sure. I shot a dandy redhead earlier this year, but this GE is a much nicer bird in my opinion, so the redhead is either going to wait or get thawed and cleaned! :thumbsup:

I just wish I had more of my dekes on longlines.I had 40 or so divers plus some mallards and geese out, took me 45 minutes to pick up today. only 12 bills on a LL. 45 minutes is a lot of valuable hunting time! :hammer:
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:24 pm

yeah, once you make the switch to diver hunting, you can lose the war paint on the face!!!!!!!!!!!!!

totally not needed

conrgadualtion on the EYE...i love shooting GE's!!!!! I have shot 5 drakes in one day, but not 6 yet...

maybe this year

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 pm

GE and buffleheads are my favorite decoying bird. they often commit with no hesitation. and to solve your 45 minute issue. get a hunting buddy!
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Good job buddy. What a beauty!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:36 pm

spartansfan wrote:GE and buffleheads are my favorite decoying bird. they often commit with no hesitation. and to solve your 45 minute issue. get a hunting buddy!

Then I gotta share the birds! :yes:

I agree, having never decoyed a GE, he was about 60 yards up and kamikazed straight down in a cross wind. Never seen anything like, buffleheads included. at least they're flying low when they flop in! Very memorable.

Thanks everyone! I'm very proud of this bird, i will put some pictures up when I get him mounted. :grooving:
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby Mort » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:04 am

Nice work on your trophy!!!
Mort
hunter

Postby wstober » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:44 am

pweisbrod wrote:Then I gotta share the birds! :yes:

:grooving:

However with the right crew, it also speeds up your scouting time as well! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the whistler! Good luck on the many more to follow. :beer:
wstober
hunter

Postby Feathers » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:36 pm

Nice bird! It is tough to tell if it is a true beast without other g eyes to compare the size with. We shoot a lot of em the last two weeks of the season and there is a huge size difference in some of the birds. Out of the 50 drakes or so we shot last year there were 3 or 4 that were noticably larger. Last year one was nearly the size of a drake mallard we shot.

Never the less it is a nice drake and the story behind it is worth as much as the bird itself so mount it if it is special to you. Congrats!
Feathers
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Having shot a lot of mallards, I would say this ge is really really close to the size of a normal drake mallard. Good to know. Having shot mostly to ringbills and buffies before this season, this bird was like a condor in size comparison. Couldn't believe how big it looked when it was coming into the decoys
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby greyling » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:18 pm

I love goldeneye hunting. Why can't all ducks act the same way? they come diving in and sound like jets diving in. From my neck of the woods with 8 GE decoys out and 2 people hunting we can get 7 ducks in about 2 minutes. At first light these things go crazy!! A beautiful bird indeed.
greyling
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Thanks! Gee, can I come with?

I still think the way he decoyed was odd. Sixty yards up or so and hammered straight down into the decoys in a 12mph crosswind. Very cool, but weird! I had two ge decoys out in the spread in an open "pocket" and he landed right next to one.
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby greyling » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Same with us. Can't be shocked when you see a flock about, what seem to be, a mile up there, and then all the suddend....swoosh, they drop in at 100 mph!
greyling
hunter

Postby TROB » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Wait.....you guys LIKE goldeneyes? Have at 'em hoss.... :lol3:

I hear those stupid things in my sleep after watching them fly by all day....I hate 'em
Last edited by TROB on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby greyling » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:47 pm

Haha I seriously have nightmares from those things. That constant whistle gets in my head and wakes me up at night. But man I love hunting them things. Alot of people bad mouth the bird but its fine by me I guess there will be more for me.
greyling
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:50 am

What? I wish I lived where you guys live! :P In my immediate area they're pretty uncommon. First one I've seen in the area in my 4 year hunting career. This one never whistled at all, I wish he would have!
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby ringneckslayer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:44 am

Congrats on the Goldeneye and congrats on diver hunting!! I can not see pictures because the Army feels the need to block pictures, I am sure its a great bird CONGRATS!
ringneckslayer
hunter

Postby greyling » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:58 pm

pweisbrod wrote:What? I wish I lived where you guys live! :P In my immediate area they're pretty uncommon. First one I've seen in the area in my 4 year hunting career. This one never whistled at all, I wish he would have!

I think it's just their wings that make all the whistling but I'm not certain about that and with 100's of them flying by it gets stuck in your head. I think we're lucky to get the number of goldeneyes but alot of people hate them around here. But you guys probably have alot of the ducks that are uncommon around here. They sure are a cool looking bird I think I'm going to keep one for the wall this year.
greyling
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks Ringneckslayer! And thank you for your service!

Yeah, it's a pretty rare day that I don't limit on wood ducks for the first 20 days of season or so, and those are uncommon in some parts of the country. This guy was silent as he came in, hopefully now that I'm a dedicated and determined diver maniac I'll shoot a few more and hear 'em whistle! :lol:
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:52 pm

PS, just ordered 50 more longline clips. I've already got the homemade anchors and rope is cheap, man I can't wait to turn some single droppers into longliners!
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:44 am

nice! I'd like to kill a goldy. Never really been diver hunting. Have shot some ringnecks, but would like to go set up just for divers and kill some.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:27 am

another one turns to the dark side. I grew up shooting about nothing but mallards, so many folks when they referred to ducks only meant mallards, it is their loss. I started diver hunting about 8 years ago and have never looked back, there is just nothing like it. I'm all about decoying ducks and the better a duck decoys, the better I like it. Guys around here tell me that divers are too easy and they just aren't interested in hunting them, that's about like saying you're going fishing and hope the fish don't bite, "mother Q never raised such a foolish child".

Hunting goldeneye is a feast for the senses. Hearing them coming from 500 yards away, watching as they pass by and suddenly the whistling stops and you see them taking a big fast speed swing back in your direction. You hear the whistle their wings make flapping replaced by the sound of afterburners as their big feet start cutting the air apart. About the only sound they lack is a sonic boom, but they are trying for it. I often hear my boys say, "their coming in hot", and that's the way goldeneye are, like a F18 on a carrier deck, a controlled crash. It you catch it just right when they are right at the edge of the decoys you can get them to skip a couple of times after you shoot. If you don't hit them hard enough, they will dive under water right out of the air when they fall. We call it the snake river effect, that's when after your first shot and the bird begins to fall, you continue to shoot at the "dead" bird on the way to the water trying to prevent them from snorkeling away. I'm not hunting ducks for table fare, I'm hunting them for the thrill, I don't think mallards taste all that good anyway and in pepperoni everything tastes just fine. Goldeneye keep the blood pumping in this old heart and I'm just biding my time when the drakes start whistling their wings up the snake river again this year. 7 drake goldeneye limits are common here and I just love it, last year we had virtually no migration at all and I shot only 10 goldeneye all year, I can't wait for some cold weather to send them south this year. I'm a duck hunter, I'll shoot any species of duck, but goldeneye are special. I love hearing that whistle in my ears hours after I get home, it distracts me from the ringing in my ears I've listened to for the past 50 years.

we generally only use a dozen or less goldeneye decoys, I like picking up the decoys in one trip. Often we use three super mag goldeneye decoys. http://s304.beta.photobucket.com/user/w ... rt=3&o=194

woodduck31
hunter

Postby greyling » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Nice photos woodduck31. I don't know when ducks that decoy constantly has become a bad thing. I love it, and just like you explain that whisling and sound of a jet diving in at 100mph to your decoys is way too exciting. Havn't seen a whole lot of them. We put 6 goldeneye decoys out and come away with a big pile of them after 2 hours of hunting. If people don't like to hunt them then I would say you are seriously missing out.
greyling
hunter

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting