First Goldy!

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: First Goldy!

Postby pweisbrod » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Great pictures! Looks like I need to come visit the snake river!

There's nothing like it. I can't wait to get back out on tuesday and hopefully see some bills hitting the brakes in the decoys!
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:51 pm

The goldeneyes will start showing up here in 3-4 weeks...I can't wait! But, damn, those things can be hard to kill. If one dives after being hit, it will surface once in range and only for 1-2 seconds. You better be ready to kill it then or you will be chasing it all over the lake. I've fired 10-15 times at a wounded bird before finally getting it.

One of my best memories was hunting them on the river. I wounded one that got away in the current. A bald eagle saw the cripple and started diving on it. Each time the duck would dive under the water and the eagle would climb up for another pass. After about 4 passes the duck was a split second slow and the eagle grabbed it out of the water and took it to the bank for dinner. Next thing you know two more eagles landed and they all started fighting over the duck. That's the first time I was glad for a wounded duck getting away from me.
radfordc
hunter

Postby greyling » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:14 pm

That is awesome! I have had the same thing happen, it's good you know it isn't going to complete waste. And you are absolutely right about them diving if they are wounded. All 4 or 5 of us will scan the water for it to pop up then whoever sees it will shoot it as soon as they can because they only stay up for 2 seconds
greyling
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:45 pm

it's kind of funny when you have a goldeneye dive, you can look back across the bank at the other hunters and it looks like a firing squad just waiting for the bird to surface. I won't release the dog until we know the bird is stone cold dead.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:56 am

I've heard decoying drake eye's referred to as "Chesting up to the decoys", very suiting depiction.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:59 am

Good looking bird, mount it for sure :clapping:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Thank you! I am going to have Jerry at flyway taxidermy take a look at him soon. Can't wait to get out tomorrow and hopefully get some bluebills in the decoys, I've still never shot a drake bill before. Or a can. Lol! Only a few weeks left of season! Lots of work to do!
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby radfordc » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Saw my first GEs of the season this morning. 3 flew by heading up the lake...hopefully more are on the way.
radfordc
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:25 am

: Welcome to the club! Now, when you say your out getting some "green heads" WE'LL know what your talking about!

Goldeneye's are the "Most Honest Duck" out there. I preach it everytime I take a new guy out. They always say "What do you mean?" ... Let me explain ... Puddlers will circle, and circle, and circle your spread ... Maybe they land, maybe they won't .. Maybe they see something they don't like, and you've just wasted 15 minutes trying to get them to land ...

Goldeneye's ... They bomb in, and ask questions LATER ... You can hear them a mile away coming and the black white body on them is AMAZING!

p.s. ... Ditch the face paint brother ... Noooooooo need with divers. Kinda like wiping before you poop, makes no sense!
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks BBBD, I know about the face paint, leave me alone guys! LOL I have since stopped wearing it! I just keep my face beneath the top of the blind. Goldeneyes and buffleheads are great birds, and I agree, I can appreciate the honesty... They decoy, or they don't. Almost every time. It rocks!

I've since shot my first drake buffleheads, bluebills, and I got another nice drake redhead this morning. I had a flock of 10-12 buffleheads dump right in, and I have been trying to practice some drake selection. It's 60 degrees again this weekend, this stinks! I need colder weather!!!
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Stole this pic from another post I made, sorry to clog up the whole forum, but diver hunting rules! 100% converted baby! :lol:
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby greyling » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Haha man I love diver hunting!! Them are some really nice ducks. They are not the funnest to clean but they sure provide some entertaining hunts
greyling
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Nice bluebill too! We get enough goldeneyes around here that I usually pass on shooting them due to them not being the best tasting duck. I love watching them work though, I'd say a Goldeneye hold the record for the fastest-moving duck I've ever seen, I once had one drop out of the sky from behind me and rocket through the decoys going about 100mph it seemed. It was a fast-shrinking dot by the time I could even get my gun up. Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of the diver!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby ducks385 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:05 pm

got my first Goldy too. going on my wall. congrats. i have been hooked since first canvas back
Attachments
canvasback.jpg
this got me into diver hunting.
561565_4081807804421_2041392761_n.jpg
the whole hunt
golden eye!!!.jpg
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
ducks385
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 am

Congrats !

Sharing my special Golden Eye from last week, it was banded!!?
Who ever can't enjoy any, any diver or puddle duck while water fowling , should maybe pick another sport!
Attachments
image.jpg
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby greyling » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:12 am

Weedwacker wrote:Congrats !

Who ever can't enjoy any, any diver or puddle duck while water fowling , should maybe pick another sport!

Nice banded Bird! and Dog. You're absolutely right, if people pass up on divers for just puddle ducks they are really missing out. I actually really enjoy the fast paced hunting of diver ducks.
greyling
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:57 pm

what a PRIZE!!!

There are certain birds that we rarely hear of guys getting a banded one of. and Golden eyes is one of them for me that i have NEVER heard of anyone getting a banded bird.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:09 pm

toolmaker wrote:

what a PRIZE!!!

There are certain birds that we rarely hear of guys getting a banded one of. and Golden eyes is one of them for me that i have NEVER heard of anyone getting a banded bird.

Well, take a look at the below, only have shot two banded ducks (not geese) in over 25 years of water fowling, ans the first was this old guy. Here is the report on him !! 15 year old Golden Eye!!!

INFORMATION FROM OUR FILES:
Band Number: 2347-93560
Where bird was banded: Minnesota
Date banded: 07/14/1993
Species: Common Goldeneye

Date of Recovery: 11/15/2008

About Location
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting