Late season spreads

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Late season spreads

Postby Brucek » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:35 pm

So last weekend we were out hunting on a decent size lake and there was probiky around 200-300 ducks on the lake and not one even gave our spread a look, we were using about 4 dozen decoys. The lake usually has bills buffleheads and goldys, our spread might of been a little close to shore but not terrible. Any advice on a different spread, should we try reducing the number of decoys were using any ideas would be great, would be nice to get one last good shoot before season ends
Brucek
Newb

Re: Late season spreads

Postby YooperDuck » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:39 am

Last couple weeks I have learned something. I run ringneck, bluebill, goldeneye, and buffy decoys. All those types of ducks I am having land right with a group of buffies placed in front of us, even the goldeneyes all committing to buffy decoys. give that a try, i used to mix all divers. now I mix ringneck and bluebills and keep buffys and goldeneyes by themselves, alot more shooting.
YooperDuck
hunter

Re: Late season spreads

Postby wstober » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Try: More decoys, less decoys, a different layout for your decoys, more single rigged decoys and no long lines, different species of decoys, a different spot on the lake....also how does your blind look? Hunting from shore? How long have you been gunning this spot this season? You mentioned that it is almost the end of the season. Is it over hunted? Don't be afraid to try it! You never know, what you were doing last weekend may be exactly what they what to see next weekend.

Good luck with the puzzle they call duck hunting. :grooving:
wstober
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting