Repainting some decoys

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Repainting some decoys

Postby Jangle » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:28 am

I am getting into diver hunting and I have started repainting 3 dozen old mallards. Here is what I started with. As you can tell I tried to do this last season and it didn't work to well due to not preparing the decoys correctly. So far I have just brushed off the old paint and washed the decoys. I hope to get the base coat on today.
Jangle
hunter

Re: Repainting some decoys

Postby greyling » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

What exactly are the steps to taking some old decoys and turning them into divers so the paint will stay and look good?
greyling
hunter

Re: Repainting some decoys

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Sand off as much paint as possible and wash em with soap and water. After they dry primer is your friend. Depending what decoy you want to make will determine what color primer you use. For example, my redheads got gray primer while my BB's got bedliner spray and some white primer. Once you have painted everything use a matte finish clear coat. Couple coats of that and they will last a while.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting