Long line weights

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Long line weights

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Need to get a few long line weights, but I dont wanna spend $12 for little grapple anchors and at this time Im so broke it aint funny. No railroads near by so spikes are out of the question. Im not hunting major tidal water so dont need anything super heavy. Anything around the house or super cheap I could use? Preferably something with holes in it so I can tie my rope directly to it?
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Re: Long line weights

Postby UpSouth811 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:58 pm

get u some corrugated pipe and put concrete in it. works great
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby Jake S » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 pm

milk jugs filled with sand work good short term. might get you thru this season but it dosn't take long in freezing coditions for the plastic to become brittle and break.
Jake S
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:39 am

The milk jugs aren't a bad idea. I don't have to worry about freezing temps in FL so it should be a safe bet.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Jangle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:43 am

Coffee cans filled with concrete and somthung stuck in them for your line yo attach too
Jangle
hunter

Postby addicted2ducks » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:41 am

what I use is redneck engineering at best, but it workes for me and its free. I take old led tire weights and melt them down on a old colman stove. (just besure to do it outside where you don't breath the fumes) Once the led is melted pour it into a coke can with the top cut off. I take a piece of a coat hanger and bend it to a shape of a horseshoe and stick it in the melted led. Once it all cools and hardens, cut off the alluminum from the coke can and you have a weight. Its been a while since I made mine, but I think a 1/2 of can is 5lbs and a full can 10lbs. I like them because they are small and easy to store in the boat, but are still heavy and will hold all your decoys in place. I'll post a pic if you want today if you want

They also, make great weights for jerk chords.
addicted2ducks
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:00 am

I've seen anything from old sash weights to brake rotors used for long line anchors. Personally I use 10# mushroom anchors as my long lines are 100' of 1/4" weighted rope with 20' of fair lead on the ends, 3' para cord droppers to 12 Herters foam decoys spaced 5' apart and any amount of wind or current puts pretty good resistance to the rig. The rotors work pretty well until they get on edge and roll across the bottom and sash weights are easy to pull along as well.

Home made coffee or even coke can size mushrooms work pretty well as long as there is enough weight to them. I've even seen guys do a mid line anchor to hold the line somewhat straight and add to the solidity of anchoring the entire rig. In a pinch a couple bricks or a cinder block will work and they are cheap (but cumbersome).
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Old window weights. Dont know how hard they are to comebye near you but they are everywhere here.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:43 pm

No window weights here. I'm trying tl find stuff 5lbs or less that is easily storeed in the boat and doesn't take up space. The bricks would work, just gotta find some

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Markd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Barbell plate weights, probably find them on Craigslist for $1 each or less for the 5 lbs size.
Markd
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:23 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:No window weights here. I'm trying tl find stuff 5lbs or less that is easily storeed in the boat and doesn't take up space. The bricks would work, just gotta find some

I dont know how long your lines are, but standard 5 hole bricks arent very heavy and might get pulled along.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:50 pm

I have a flat plate attached to string and a dowel that I used to use for forearm workouts and that actually made me think of that to use as a weight. I wonder if Walmart would sell those in their workout section or an academy sports or something? The lines are only 90 ft

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:34 pm

chain.... i was tryin to find some weights to rig up a couple long lines last minute one time and i had 2 or 3 14 to 18 inch length of anchor chain layin around so i just wove the mainline rope through all the chain lengths and tied a knot in one end. worked pretty good hunting the river and bays around the sound i just pile the rope and chain in buckets.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:37 pm

I think i saw some short chain links at wally world yesterday for anchors. I actually thought of that to because I use a short length as an anchor for the kayak.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:43 pm

i havent seen the stuff at wally world. the chain i have used is just galvinized anchor chain like u connect to a danforth anchor. it was just a random idea that works
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:08 pm

You folks use an awful lot of weight!!!! I will be out on the Atlantic tomorrow morning, in about 21' of water on a shelf the eiders just love.....and all I have on each line is about 3# of lead made from a large muffin mold......in 20 years of hunting on the salt I have never had an issue.....maybe scope of line is the difference? I also use bent coat hanger.....and they do last a few seasons before rusting through.....not a big deal to me, nor is losing one, since they cost nothing but a little time to make.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ducking&diving » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 pm

i have some of those three pound grapple anchors and their great. i think i got the mushrooms for like ten bucks each at a hardware store though. i figure its better to have the weight and not need it than need it and not have it.
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Been using the barbell weights for a while . They can be had fairly cheap, they stack neatly, thay drag into place easy, and the whole in the middle allows you to slip an loop of rope through and attach without a clip.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:47 pm

rail road spikes or rail plates, walk the tracks to find em
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Fowler » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:15 am

I hunt the coast of Maine and hunt in the biggest tides in the United States along the Bay of Fundy so what works for me would be overkill for you. I know 3lbs of weight wouldn't even begin to hold a single decoy let alone long lines in some of the areas we hunt. We use as much as 15lb navy anchors on some lines depending on conditions and tide. We do use some of the barbell or even smaller dumbell weights in other locations and they work fine.
Fowler
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:38 am

I needed weights and didnt have time to make them. Went to the local farm and fleet store and bought a couple plow replacement plates in the farm equipment section. They are not too heavy, but they dig into the ground when drug across the bottom of the water, so they stick really well. Also, they are either powder coated or at least painted, so they havent rusted on me over the past two seasons. We will see what happens in the future...just my $.02
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby DukBum » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:11 pm

I have been using barbell weights I think they are 2.5 lbs and work great I get them at wal mart for three dollars apiece
There is more to this then just killing ducks
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:38 am

DukBum wrote:I have been using barbell weights I think they are 2.5 lbs and work great I get them at wal mart for three dollars apiece

That's what I use. If it is rough, I just clip on another one or two. I use 5 pounder though. I stack them in a heavy duty plastic milk crate.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby DukBum » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 am

I have a langth of chain on my weights so all i have to do to add more weight is slide it over the chain wich is only about a foot in length
There is more to this then just killing ducks
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:58 am

the current is the biggest factor in what weight you need. I have been in some 7 knot current, the dogs couldnt outswim.... and in 30 feet of water i needed 100 foot of scop and two 8 lb anchors....and still it seemed to slide. thats with 12-14 decoys on a line. Funny thing that spot wasnt in any type of bottle neck or choke spot....wide open...but the current was honking.

here is some of my long line anchors. all made myself....two sizes of lead with a SS eyebolt and large fender washer and nut inside. plus a hunk of 303 SS bar stock .

get something compact and easy, forget the gerry rigged junk.... you dont need hassles out on the deep rough diver waters....

you can take advice or you can figure it out for yourself. I am not knocking the guys who just cant afford the right equipment....because everyone is in their own boat...so to speak

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting