Long line weights

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: Long line weights

Postby Bhk2 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:06 am

I'm not sure if this would work for you but... I bought an 80lb bag of sac crete, a 10 pack of 20oz styrafoam cups and 10 I bolts from Menards with nuts and washers on them. Made up a batch of the sac crete pored it in the cups. Then I stuck the bolt with the washer & nut set about 3/4 the way down in the cup. I used long match sticks put thru the hole in the bolt across the top of the cup to keep the bolt centered and from going to deep in the cup. The kids helped so it went really quick and earned points with the mrs. I let these set up for two days which was more than enough time, then had the kidos peel off the cup. I haven't weighed them but for under $10.00 and 30 min of work/fun with the kids I had 10 weights that were close to 5-6 lbs each. Also took some paper/plastic type plates and pored the left over into them, then let the kids put their hands in to make pavers for the garden made neat little Christmas gifts for grandma. My kids who go with me at least 2-3 times a season seem more excited to get out and hunt over their anchors. One of the coolest little projects I've gotten to do in awhile.

bhk2
Bhk2
Newb

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:01 am

Our waters aren't super rough down here where I hunt. They can be with the right wind but its mostly lakes and occasionally the coast line. The 2.5 dumbbell plates are what I've been using and have been great so far.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:06 am

Bhk2 wrote:I'm not sure if this would work for you but... I bought an 80lb bag of sac crete, a 10 pack of 20oz styrafoam cups and 10 I bolts from Menards with nuts and washers on them. Made up a batch of the sac crete pored it in the cups. Then I stuck the bolt with the washer & nut set about 3/4 the way down in the cup. I used long match10 weights that were close to 5-6 lbs each. Also took some paper/plastic type plates and pored the left over.

bhk2

I like this idea. Good for hunt and family.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:55 am

I melted down wheel weights and poured them in to larger canned fruit cans. Not sure what the weight is but I would guess 12ish? Used a stainless eye bolt with a washer to secure the lines. Seems to hold in the mouth of the Columbia and coastal bays here. Total cost is around 6$ per including the propane used to melt them.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Long line weights

Postby m.teeter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Window weights
m.teeter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:00 pm

I am hunting the same general area Tealer is. I use sash weights. They work great. Watch Fleabay and don't pay more than $5 a piece. I bought them in groups of 4 to 7 and got better prices that way. They all fit in 1 - 3 gallon bucket. I have 3 lb and 4 lb weights for tail anchors. 6 lb & 7 lb weights for upstream anchors.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Seacanoeist » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:34 am

get u some corrugated pipe and put concrete in it.
Seacanoeist
Newb

Postby TheSwamper » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:Old window weights. Dont know how hard they are to comebye near you but they are everywhere here.

This.

Or guys I know use dumb bells, old brake rotors, anything man!
TheSwamper
DHC Sponsor and Moderator

Postby Tealer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Here is a pic of the weights I've been using, they hold under any current. Weigh right at 15 pounds.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby aaronrocker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 am

/\ /\ /\ I can vouch for those led cans. those suckers hold and are HEAVY!
WizzBang Prostaff
http://www.waduck.org/
aaronrocker
hunter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting