Looking for tips/info/anything

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Looking for tips/info/anything

Postby okduckdude » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:57 am

I am a puddle duck hunter. Born and bred. However, the place i hunt has TONS of divers on it whenever the puddle ducks are run out. I have shot divers before and i know they get off the water different and thats the only thing i know about them. So I'm looking for tips on how to kill these things when the puddle ducks move out.

My question is really how do you hunt them? I seen pictures of guys with diver spreads on gang rigs with layout boats. Ive seen pictures of guys hunting them from a shore blind. Do you just put lines out and hunt them? I really have no idea, like i said I'm a puddle duck hunter. :hammer: :hammer:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Re: Looking for tips/info/anything

Postby Smith » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Throw out lots of decoys and hide. Shoot the ducks when they come in. It's easier than puddle duck hunting. You can use motherlines or set them out on individual anchors. Try to match the decoys with the species common to the area. No need to call. The most important thing is to hunt in a place frequented by the ducks. Obviously, being well hidden is good, but perhaps not as important as when hunting puddle ducks. In my experience, the divers are generally less wary.
Smith
hunter

Postby goosman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:58 pm

I hunt big water and have found even in smaller remote areas divers love other ducks big spreads help your odds and running mother lines is the easiest way to run a big spread my crew and I put 150 out when ever we hunt any lake and in the bay we add another 50 blocks 10 dozen on mother lines and then 3 dozen fillers I put my farthest line 65 yards out and leave a good pocket if there are alot of birds have fun good luck an yes divers are a little easier than Puddlers just more labor intensive
Last Descent Outfitters (616)723-5429
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Open Water Layout Diver Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Is hiding as important when hunting divers?
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby slopestacker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:01 pm

just like hunting any thing, concealment is a always a plus. but ive had days where weve shot our limits of cans and redheads just sitting on the rocks or bank with out any sort of blind.
if the site of 50+ cans 20 yards from the decoys doesnt get you goin, somethings not right.
slopestacker
hunter

Postby ky lake mud pie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:04 pm

gooseman-i'd like to see a drawing of your set up i have been trying to figure out how to get more birds to decoy, thanks
ky lake mud pie
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Gooseman, you put your farthest dekes out 65 yds... now why is this? And then how far away or where is your kill hole...? A diagram would infact be great!!

Thanks,

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:44 am

Check out this thread...we've put a couple pictures up of our spreads...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=203933
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Return to Diver Duck Hunting