trying to learn

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

trying to learn

Postby duckN54 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Well after countless hours of.scouting watching,studying simple decoy spreads,I'm getting ready to go on my first diver hunt. I'm tired of fighting over woodies and mallards and wont to move to the big water away.from everybody. But I debated on doing this but here goes.... I have a bunch of questions basically what are the DOS and donts? Whats the most common decoy spreads,I comments or advice on how to hunt not where to hunt would be appreciated.Thanks boys
duckN54
hunter

Re: trying to learn

Postby goosman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:48 pm

Big spreads if your in Boat blind are your friend I like hunting wadable water when ever possible makes a 150 bird spread a little easier to do. I like running 12 decoys to a line and making the lines roughly 40yds long I run 10 dozen on long lines and then 3 dozen fillers. I run a Big W out in front so there is more then one spot for them to land has always worked good for me
Last Descent Outfitters (616)723-5429
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Open Water Layout Diver Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:13 pm

Just had a guy tell me he uses 1500+ decoys. Does any one really use that many?

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby taylormn14 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:48 am

I dont think anyone is ever done learning this game. I started with a couple dozen decoys and shot birds. I now run 150 decoys and 2 layout boats. It takes bigger boats to hual that much gear but is worth it in my opinion. Get a buddy or 2 and split up the cost. Buy decoys for the birds your hunting. We have alot of buffle head and golden eyes where we hunt so that makes up a bunch of the spread. When we target cans we will put out a few dozen and they come right in. We typically run more decoys when we do a layout hunt. If you dont have alot of decoys I would just put them out in singles. When you start getting more decoys put them on longlines. There is alot of good info on this site and it has helped me out a bunch. I get tired of fighting the mallard guys in the marsh for a few birds. I can go to the big water and basically have them to my self. Good luck
Life is to short to sweat the small stuff. Do what you love and do it often.
taylormn14
hunter

Postby duckN54 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 am

We are working on numbers for decoys but so far we have 30 blue bills 11 buffies working on a dozen redheads and probably going to get a dozen Coors.are they anykind of calling?
duckN54
hunter

Postby duckN54 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:53 am

We are all in are early early twenties and are trying to be as respectful as we can and not ruin anyones hunt...thanks for the help..were tired of the puddle duck butt heads on public landi
duckN54
hunter

Postby taylormn14 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Sounds like you have a good start. The thing with divers is you need help hunting them. I have done it solo and it sucks. Alot of work putting out decoys by meyself. Cant do a layout hunt alone either. Hunting with friends is better anyways. Look on craigs list to find cheep decoys. You can also paint old ones real easy. Divers are easy to paint. I started out with 60 bluebills that I got for a buck apiece. Many had holes and needed some work but I have killed ducks over them.
Life is to short to sweat the small stuff. Do what you love and do it often.
taylormn14
hunter

Postby duckN54 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:07 pm

What kind of paint do use like exterior laytex ? Yea where tdu ng to get at least 70 together. Its going to be an adventure..we love the sport just trying to get things together so we done scare birds lol o
duckN54
hunter

Postby QuackAddict95 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Most diver ducks are extremely stupid. bluebills decoy very easy. We throw out 2 lines making a V with 12 decoys on each line. We throw 2-3 single decoys in the middle and then throw ringnecks and buffleheads on the outside. Most people sit and wait on the ducks without calling, I bring my duck calls and when i see the ducks i quack a few times and they turn and drop right into my decoys. And yes i call bluebills with a mallard call. good luck hunting
QuackAddict95
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Check out www.doctarilonglines.com. In my opinion they have the best longline supplies that I have found. And their prices are pretty good too. Tarred mainlines and decoys drops are the only way to go.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby duckN54 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:07 am

Thanks ill check the site out today for our main line clips and long lines !
duckN54
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting