Will mallard decoys hurt a diver hunt on the Coast

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Will mallard decoys hurt a diver hunt on the Coast

Postby scopolamine » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:51 pm

I have about 6 dozen decoys, but two dozen are mallards and a dozen are gadwalls. I am hunting the Texas coast and wanted to know if the puddler decoys would hurt my chances with red head, pintail and bluebills

Also, are mojo decoys helpful for divers or a waste of time?
scopolamine
hunter

Re: Will mallard decoys hurt a diver hunt on the Coast

Postby BrowningBlaster » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:57 pm

I always use my mallard decoys when I'm hunting divers. You can run your long lines into the deep water, then put the mallards closer to shore or in the shallow calm water. Be sure to leave a kill hole big enough for them to land about 20 yard separation. Pintails are puddle ducks and will likley land with the mallard decoys. You will have more success if you get decoys according to the species you want kill.

Mojos work yes and no. I have had great success and failed miserably. I tend to think that they help more than hurt. Just my 2 cents. Have fun, bring a kid!
Snow Goose Triple Digit Member
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Re: Will mallard decoys hurt a diver hunt on the Coast

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:43 pm

If you are hunting on the tx coastI wouldn't use the mallard decoys b/c there are no mallards down there but there are a ton of divers, teal, widgeons and pintail also don't use a mallard call to sound like a mallard hen it will flare ducks use it as a diver call by rolling your tongue also use a duck whistle for widgeons, pintail and teal and a teal hen call if you don't have hen teal you can make some mallard hen calls sound like one
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting