Towing a layout boat. My project

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Towing a layout boat. My project

Postby Driven51387 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi guys,
I've been tossing around the idea of building a sled of sorts for my big home made two man boat; that up until now goes nowhere fast because it is too bulky for the tender to carry safely.We had a bunch of high density foam board left over from one of our jobs so we decided to see if we couldn't put enough lift under the big girl to get her on plane behind us. last night we got it all roughed out and will be gluing everything up soon. after that I plan to fiberglass it with a foam-safe epoxy resin. I think its going to work. It will at least let us get it out there faster than idle. it is a big stable boat and its is great for days when the water is a little rougher than we would like for a single man boat or we have a couple extra people. Here are some pictures I took last night of our first little bit of progress. Let me know what you think. ill post pics as I get it done.
Cheers, :beer:
T.J.
Attachments
layout project.jpg
the BIG GIRL right side up
hull started.jpg
first couple of layers
back.jpg
back side
angle for hull.jpg
before removing material.
angle for hull.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
a.jpg
rough idea of the angle of the hull....
Driven51387
hunter

Re: Towing a layout boat. My project

Postby Driven51387 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Any thoughts? Im interested to know what you guys think about it. Right now a big enough boat to lay it across the gunnels isnt an option. so hopefully this gadget will work out and fill the gap until im able to get my hands on a proper big water boat.
Call it like you see it,
T.J.
Driven51387
hunter

Postby Smith » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:46 pm

I think it will work, but it's a lot bigger and bulkier than it needs to be. The goal here is to plane the boat, not float it higher. When I began layout hunting, back in the '70's, it was quite common to see layouts for sale with a "planing board" included. Back then, the boats were all big heavy wood or wood-and-fiberglass jobs which were just too heavy to pick up and throw across the gunwales of the average tender. A planing board was basically a piece of plywood strapped across the front of the boat on an upward angle, acting like the upturned front end of a really wide water ski. On your boat, it would also extend under water to overlap the flat front face of your pit or box, unless the front of your box is already angled upward (it's not visible in the pictures because the foam is hiding it). Of course, you have to devise a way to attach the board to the boat and then attach a tow rope or bridle to the board. For my boat, I made my planing board out of fiberglass that fits the front shape of the boat and flares up and out. Works like a charm and stows away easily in the tender, taking up very little room. Back then, I had a 16' Starcraft tender with a 15 horse johnson on it. The 15 planed both boats, including the whole rig plus hunters. Nowadays I pull it with a 50hp Mercury, and unless the water's really choppy, I tow it wide open without problem. My layout is not as wide as yours though.
Smith
hunter

Postby Driven51387 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:45 pm

I set it in the water and I see what what you mean. im going to get rid of a couple of layers and shave it down with the rasp more before it gets fiberglassed . That stuff is way more bouyant than I figured it would be. Im also gonna look at making a tow board for it I'm just having a hard time how to visualize attaching it to the layout. you wouldnt happen to have a picture of what that setup looked like? PM me if you could.
Thanks,
T.J.
Driven51387
hunter

Postby Smith » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:07 am

No; no pictures. On my boat, there's a cleat right at the front for anchoring. I just clip the planing shield to the cleat, then throw a bungee across the deck to hold the back end of the planing shield tightly up against the bottom of the boat.
Smith
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting