East Coast Sea Ducks

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

East Coast Sea Ducks

Postby Skoug » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:46 pm

With the end of this years duck season here in wisconsin, its time to start planing for hunts next year. I have been contemplating taking a trip out east for eiders and scoter. im just curious who and where you guys think would be the best place to go?
Skoug
hunter

Re: East Coast Sea Ducks

Postby southernducker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:16 am

There are several really quality guides for both species, but your search could prob be narrowed depending on what you're wanting to spend. I know of a really good guide up here in Maine at Rising Sun Outfitters. Scoters arent as plentiful as eiders but he cuts down some eiders and the get into the oldsquaw too
southernducker
hunter

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 pm

I would second Rising Sun Outfitters, I have done business with them and they get there guys on birds. I am planning on taking a trip up there next fall.
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby Dep666 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Brian Rhodes of the Swampers in RI....

I had two days of amazing hunting... Brian is a great guy and knows his stuff......Cant' go wrong with him
Dep666
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Call Joe Austin DOA Outfitters. He is out of Maryland but hunts the whole east coast and he WILL put you on some birds. He is a stand up guy and knows what he's doing.
Snow Goose Triple Digit Member
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby TheSwamper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Dep666 wrote:Brian Rhodes of the Swampers in RI....

I had two days of amazing hunting... Brian is a great guy and knows his stuff......Cant' go wrong with him

Thanks for the kind words man.

It was a good couple of days! :thumbsup:
TheSwamper
DHC Sponsor and Moderator

Postby AllFlockedUp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:45 pm

I know a guy that lives in Maine and knows Ernie Spalding of Rising Sun Outfitters and he swears by him. As a matter of fact he swears by him so much that I am going to make a trip up next year to knock down some eiders. I was told the same thing about there not being as many scoters around but I already have those. If it is Eiders and longtails you are after I hear he is your man!
AllFlockedUp
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:47 am

There are a lot of good options. If I were booking, there are only a few that would not be on my list:

1) Eiders Down - I would not go with them unless Bill Pigeon was retired. A big fisasco of double booking and pricing silliness one year. Basically booked at X price, had deposits, letters stating prices to and from and then on cashing out last day he decided prices were now hundreds more per person, and this was after he had double booked on top of that.
2) Penobscot Bay - From the guys I know that have hunted with Todd, I would not use him.
3) Swampers - I would not do business with Brian for a couple reasons I won't disclose.

Note that how a guide acts when your name is associated to dollar signs may be totally different than how they are as a person when they are not being paid to be your best friend or if they feel their payday may be in question.

Call a lot of references, not just one or two. Of course all references a guide gives you will be people they know will speak highly of them, so tell them you want someone from your state that hunted with them in the last year. Make sure to ask if there were any mix ups or was the transaction smooth. Ask if the guide exhibited any unprofessional behavior, examples might be rallying, having you shoot over your limit, booking for 3 days knowing you will go over possession limit, etc...
Last edited by g_maxson on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:12 am

I highly recommend Capt. Len Greiner from Cape Cod Sea Duck Hunting. I have hunted with him twice now for a total of 6 days hunting and he has always withheld his end of the bargain and works hard to make sure you are happy. Eiders are his specialty
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Daffy Ducking » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:24 am

Massachusetts / Rhode Island.... I have hunted with Ocean State Outfitters and have been a repeat customer 4 years now with occassionaly 2 trips in one season! We have shot our limits every time and always have a great time! Jeremiah is very knowledgable, safe, and a great Captain. Good Luck with your choice! :thumbsup:
Ever lay in bed at nite and hear geese honk and ducks quackin????
Daffy Ducking
State Moderator

Postby boney fingers » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:45 am

East coast waterfowlers on Long Island; I have hunted with him many times and did one fishing trip. No one will work harder to get you the birds you want than Capt. Steve King. A picture is worth a 1000 words so here goes!! A few of the pics are when I took my own boat and hunted with him due to him being booked solid. The last picture is of his clients when we hunted and he was booked.

boney fingers
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:56 pm

What size North Rover are you running?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
g_maxson
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:26 pm

23 ft + offshore bracket; wish it were 24 but trailer and garage would not allow it.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 am

Thx. I'm looking to buy but have the opposite problem. Have the length, just not the door height, 7' so would be stuck with the 20' and 14 degree hull. That or the 215 Duckwater would also fit under a 7' door

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
g_maxson
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:27 pm

both good boats in their own right; I love climbing in a heated cabin when its 0 out.
boney fingers
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting