bluebills, scaup, lessers, etc. ...

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

bluebills, scaup, lessers, etc. ...

Postby TooTall » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:31 pm

We've found some really hot bluebill action here at the NC coast the past couple days. Easy limits for those that can shoot! We had big wads of blackheads attacking the decoys all morning. You hear a lot of complaints about how rough the hunting is in NC and it can be a tough grind, but days like these prove that hard work and scouting still yield successful days afield even in the most heavily gunned regions.

I wish I had taken a video camera. We had flocks of 20 - 50 landing in the decoys and swimming around as we cooked breakfast and drank coffee. One of the last groups one day was a flock of about 150 blackheads that did it RIGHT. Those sights and sounds never get old.

I truly pray that the hard work and studies of our waterfowl biologists can figure out what it is going to take on our part to ensure that these birds have further long term growth, and I count myself as being blessed to have taken part in and experienced the rebound of the lesser scaup.

"Mixed bag"

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of a bunch over the decoys. Easy to pick out the drakes on days like this.

-Garrett Trentham
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Re: bluebills, scaup, lessers, etc. ...

Postby TooTall » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:33 pm

On another note, does anyone know why this forum cuts off my pics? I post them from image links on photobucket.

Thanks.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby SafetyAlwaysOff » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:42 pm

What's the duck to the left with the white chin? Can't really see it
SafetyAlwaysOff
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:45 pm

ruddy
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby SafetyAlwaysOff » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Nice man nice looking ducks and I love the bluebills waiting for one from the taxi right now
SafetyAlwaysOff
hunter

Postby TooTall » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:42 pm

SafetyAlwaysOff wrote:What's the duck to the left with the white chin? Can't really see it

Thanks. The bird in question was actually a hen ringneck, not that you could tell at all from the picture though.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby greyling » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:11 am

Nice photos I like the bug furry duck especially
greyling
hunter

Postby greyling » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 am

TooTall wrote:On another note, does anyone know why this forum cuts off my pics? I post them from image links on photobucket.

Thanks.

I think it's because it just posts the original size of the picture so you would have to reduce the image size for the whole thing to fit.
greyling
hunter

Postby ky lake mud pie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:20 pm

how far of shots are you all generally taking. I can't tell from the pic but looks like the deeks are set away from you all pretty good. I was just wondering? Great photos, the reason i ask is here on ky lake we have been getting singles and triples to come in, but the larger groups just seem to pass us by and head for the large rafts out on the lake. Thanks.
ky lake mud pie
hunter

Postby TooTall » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:25 am

Thanks guys. I'll look into the picture re-sizing.

For distance reference, the floating mojo on towards the left in the picture is < 20 yds away. All of the birds in the flock are within easy shooting distance. I don't mind stringing decoys downwind out of shooting range, but I at least try to keep the upwind wad and the motion decoy within 30 yards.

Consistent shore hunting spots are few and far between, and it takes all the right conditions to make them work. But when it's right, it makes for a very comfortable and enjoyable hunt.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:41 am

Awesome! Nothing like being flooded with bluebills! :thumbsup:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:54 am

"I truly pray that the hard work and studies of our waterfowl biologists can figure out what it is going to take on our part to ensure that these birds have further long term growth, and I count myself as being blessed to have taken part in and experienced the rebound of the lesser scaup."

Well said, glad to see a true sportsman who cares about the big picture and future seasons.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby Shade » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:37 pm

TooTall wrote:On another note, does anyone know why this forum cuts off my pics? I post them from image links on photobucket.

Thanks.

What you want to do is go into the "settings" of your photobucket account and change the "upload size". There are 4 or 5 options and you want the second one from the bottom of the list (or second smallest). From then on, all pics uploaded to photobucket will be the correct size for most forums. As for the pics you have already uploaded to photobucket..... You have to delete them, then change the settings, and then re-upload them to get them to be the right size.

P.S. If you are working from a smartphone app, you have to re-select the appropriate size in the settings after most "app updates".
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby SafetyAlwaysOff » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:52 pm

All signs say an early migration for bluebills this year, or at the very least some migratoon change. Bluebills are normally a staple duck for us here and have been seeing very low numbers compared to usual. Hit em hard for about a week at the beginning of November and very few since... Divers in general actually.
SafetyAlwaysOff
hunter

Postby badgreenbird » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:26 pm

wow - great hunt & pix and a nice mixed bag!
badgreenbird
hunter

Postby dablaw » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Everyone slept in so we opted for a high noon hunt for bluebills..14 birds with 3 decoys in 1 hour...Happy new year
Attachments
Bluebills 1-1-13 #2_Vga.JPG
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby dablaw » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Here was a BB hunt Christmas Morning...took about an hour or so..Got a hen buffy and hen goldeneye as well...
Attachments
Photo155.jpg
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Nothing like a good scaup shoot. Cool bringing them into the decoys.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby TooTall » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Busted another quick limit yesterday afternoon.

One shy of a limit this morning, but passed on several hens. I've seen more bluebills around in the past, but there's enough to keep it interesting.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 am

TooTall, in the picture of your spread, where are you expecting them to land? I'm getting a layout this summer so I'm studying spreads and such.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby TooTall » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Big bunches will try to land just outside of the decoys with smaller bunches (ie: less than twenty birds) will land in the open areas inside the spread. Just keep in mind, they aren't always going to do exactly what you may want them to.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting